Where is Al Sharpton? Where is Jesse Jackson?

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
A lot of obtuse racists and bigots on this forum and elsewhere like to ask those questions. Why ask for Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson to look into racially motivated attacks that does not involve a black victim? These men, their life works and organizations are there to bring to light injustices against African Americans. They bring these issues to light primarily because American justice for African Americans has a poor history. Institutionalized racism is still live and well, in spite of the laws on the books. These men and their organizations do not give a fuck about white victims, Jewish victims, Asian victims. They ONLY care about black victims. And, YES, that involves black on black crimes. Al Sharpton once went undercover for the FBI to get rid of drug dealers in a black neighborhood. They are active in combating black on black crimes as well, but that is not a fiery topic that gets ratings in the media.

So, the next time a racist or bigot wonders where Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson or their respective organizations when there is an alleged assault by African Americans against non-blacks, perhaps they should also wonder where the anti-defamation league (amongst others) is when there is an alleged assault by Jews on non-Jews. Or, by extension, any organization that seeks to highlight the plight of a particular group...

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
The issue is that they're not opposed to racism against whites, and therefore not racism in general. It's hypocritical.

Furthermore, they're not opposed to racism against all blacks. Only liberal blacks, or blacks like Trayvon Martin, whose cause was seized upon by liberals. It's hypocritical.

Last edited:

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
The issue is that they're not opposed to racism against whites, and therefore not racism in general. It's hypocritical.

Where do you see them "not opposed to racism against whites"?

Furthermore, they're not opposed to racism against all blacks. Only liberal blacks, or blacks like Trayvon Martin, whose cause was seized upon by liberals. It's hypocritical.

So they're "racist" against certain blacks? Care to provide proof?

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
:rolleyes: Racism against whites... FFS

Is this really how far the civil rights movement has come? Full fucking circle...

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
The question I always ask in response to people who criticize other people's activities on an issue is: what are you doing about this situation besides posting on an computer hardware website forum?

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
The question I always ask in response to people who criticize other people's activities on an issue is: what are you doing about this situation besides posting on an computer hardware website forum?

They take it as far as the water cooler. But not further...

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
Where do you see them "not opposed to racism against whites"?

Not just whites. Hate crimes against any non-black ethnic group, and any black non-liberal go generally un-advocated.

The notion that it's okay that they singularly speak on behalf of liberal blacks, while masquerading as having the noble cause of Martin Luther King, is an insult to King, and to the cause of civil rights.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Not just whites. Hate crimes against any non-black ethnic group, and any black non-liberal go generally un-advocated.

The notion that it's okay that they singularly speak on behalf of liberal blacks, while masquerading as having the noble cause of Martin Luther King, is an insult to King, and to the cause of civil rights.

Why is that their problem? There are many other advocacy groups that cater to certain ethnic groups, as I said in the OP. Those groups do not give a fuck about black injustice and black groups do not give a fuck about their injustice.

As for Dr. King, his primary focus was on black injustice, in spite of anything else he said. Not sure why you would think those that learned from him would be any different.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
So they're "racist" against certain blacks? Care to provide proof?

Clarence Thomas. A hated conservative. Subjected to high-tech lynching. Nary a peep from Sharpton or Jackson.

Herman Cain. Hated conservative. Subjected with reason to intense media scrutiny with what at first were unsubstantiated accusations. Nary a peep from the Sharpton or Jackson.

Trayvon Martin. Black teenager. Shot by non-black. Before any attempt to discern the facts, Sharpton/Jackson were on the ground running.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Clarence Thomas. A hated conservative. Subjected to high-tech lynching. Nary a peep from Sharpton or Jackson.

Herman Cain. Hated conservative. Subjected with reason to intense media scrutiny with what at first were unsubstantiated accusations. Nary a peep from the Sharpton or Jackson.

Trayvon Martin. Black teenager. Shot by non-black. Before any attempt to discern the facts, Sharpton/Jackson were on the ground running.

Clarence Thomas and Herman Cain are far from "hated". Many blacks just do not like their policies. They are certainly not hated. Also, there was no injustice done against either men to rally a cause for their defense. In fact, it was Cain and Thomas that were powerful men abusing their positions for sexual favors. I doubt that Sharpton or Jackson would want to take up their cause.

Were they supposed to intervene in the Anita Hill issue? GTFU

I don't understand why they would. There was no injustice to speak of. Anita Hill never went to the police, AFAIK. I don't understand why Sharpton or Jackson would want to get involved...

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Alright. I have to go. Perhaps better arguments will arise when I return...

Ninjahedge

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2005
I never liked Sharpton. Self-serving man jumping from velour track suit and chains to a suit and tie when the times changed.

But asking why they are not around for other issues is kinda silly. They cannot be everywhere, and only when the question is genuine will you get a legit answer. When it is posed as incriminating it only serves to slander no matter what the answer.

As for reverse discrimination? As a wonder-bread whitey I have seen this. Mainly because my family had no connections, and little money. Our system is screwed up, trying to throw money at everything rather than actual solutions. And this is the fault of everyone. We would rather donate cash to a cause than get our own asses out to a soup kitchen or EVEN GET THEM OUT ONCE A YEAR TO VOTE, heaven forbid!

The methods or restitution we have now do not serve to heal. They serve to assuage guilt and (hopefully) prevent FURTHER harm, but they are woefully inadequate when it comes to fixing the still existent problems with inequality in this nation.

In order for anything to work, however, people have to be more willing to DO something rather than just complain about it. (guilty)

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002

Hard to see what you're going on about since neither Thomas nor Cain were subjected to bigoted, racist attacks that I can see. And certainly not on the same level that blacks that Jackson and Sharpton have defended have been subjected to. Both have been hypocritical about issues in the past I'm sure, because they're both politically ideological, but the hypocrisy has had zero to do with white racism. That's not their job, focus or goal in life; they're defenders of African American rights. This is not dissimilar the comparisons Dari made to the anti-defamation league, or any other minority-specific group. There's a reason these groups exist; they have been discriminated against.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
Rule of thumb #234: if you are not actively involved in an issue that somehow you think other people should be, you need to STFU.

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
These men, their life works and organizations are there to bring to light injustices against African Americans.

Actually no. Their life works mainly consist of race hustling, poverty-pimping and self-promotion. They aren't civil rights activists, they're shakedown artists and con men.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
A lot of obtuse racists and bigots on this forum and elsewhere like to ask those questions. Why ask for Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson to look into racially motivated attacks that does not involve a black victim? These men, their life works and organizations are there to bring to light injustices against African Americans. They bring these issues to light primarily because American justice for African Americans has a poor history. Institutionalized racism is still live and well, in spite of the laws on the books. These men and their organizations do not give a fuck about white victims, Jewish victims, Asian victims. They ONLY care about black victims. And, YES, that involves black on black crimes. Al Sharpton once went undercover for the FBI to get rid of drug dealers in a black neighborhood. They are active in combating black on black crimes as well, but that is not a fiery topic that gets ratings in the media.

So, the next time a racist or bigot wonders where Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson or their respective organizations when there is an alleged assault by African Americans against non-blacks, perhaps they should also wonder where the anti-defamation league (amongst others) is when there is an alleged assault by Jews on non-Jews. Or, by extension, any organization that seeks to highlight the plight of a particular group...
Preach it brutha! Can I get a witness!?

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
These men, their life works and organizations are there to bring to light injustices against African Americans. They bring these issues to light primarily because American justice for African Americans has a poor history. Institutionalized racism is still live and well, in spite of the laws on the books. These men and their organizations do not give a fuck about white victims, Jewish victims, Asian victims. They ONLY care about black victims. And, YES, that involves black on black crimes. ...

Cool story, bro = http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2233687

fstime

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2004
I just want to make one comment to all those who say "Institutionalized racism is still live and well, in spite of the laws on the books," like the OP.

While I do believe many whites still have some prejudice against blacks, I believe poor blacks hate whites equally to far more than they are hated. While this is less of a problem with middle class blacks.

Why? Maybe jealosy, they think "the man" is keeping them down, the "system" isn't favored in their light, who knows. All these issues boil down to not accepting one's own responsibilities like man. Every MAN knows you can never blame anyone but yourself for where you stand in the world. Nobody wants to hear: its all THEIR fault or "if it wasn't for X then Y."

Point being, the racism goes both ways, Al and Jesse only see one side.

Last edited:

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
I just want to make one comment to all those who say "Institutionalized racism is still live and well, in spite of the laws on the books," like the OP.

While I do believe many whites still have some prejudice against blacks, I believe poor blacks hate whites equally to far more than they are hated. While this is less of a problem with middle class blacks.

Why? Maybe jealosy, they think "the man" is keeping them down, the "system" isn't favored in their light, who knows. All these issues boil down to not accepting one's own responsibilities like man. Every MAN knows you can never blame anyone but yourself for where you stand in the world. Nobody wants to hear: its all THEIR fault or "if it wasn't for X then Y."

Point being, the racism goes both ways, Al and Jesse only see one side.

African Americans hates whites the same way Chinese and Koreans hate Japanese or native Americans hate white Americans. It has little to do with keeping them down and a lot to do with unsettled grievences (at least in the mind of those who feel aggrieved). So, yes, there is racism on both sides. As for your other point about institutionalized, it should not be dismissed so easily. It does exist and it is alive and well.