Where have all the S939 X2s gone?!?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Apr 20, 2008
I'm such a nice brother. I just gave my 939 X2 4200+ to my brother to use as a server for gaming, Vent and as a file server.

The specs were
AMd 4200+ 2.2Ghz
Asus A8n-le
4GB Supertalent Pc3200

So yeah, i hope he likes it :)

crimson117

Platinum Member
Aug 25, 2001
I think amd switched to am2 about 15 minutes after they released the 939 x2's.

/sore 939 x2 early adopter

Concillian

Diamond Member
May 26, 2004
The market has adjusted to people trying to update single core S939 to dual core S939.

In many cases a used dual core S939 will be considerably more expensive than a brand new, faster, AM2 dual core processor.

This is much the same way that DDR currently costs more than DDR2.

IMHO, moving to a DDR2 platform will not get considerably cheaper than it is now. May as well move up to a 775 or AM2 platform if you're the kind of person who lives on the trailing edge.

Expect AM2+ PhenomII to have the same issue as S939 dual cores. They will likely retain some used market value because they are only going to be around a short time between release and the eventual move to AM3. Several years from now you'll see people trying to find PhenomIIs and not being able to.

775 will have a lesser issue because decent quads have been out forever.

tiggers

Sep 16, 2008
I'm in the same boat as the OP's friend. Limited budget with a 939 platform (one income family of 4 now) of just under $150. I also have been shocked at the price some people have been willing to pay for some of the 1x and 2x CPU cores for 939 on ebay.

But it can be done with some patience. For under $150 I was able to upgrade the HD (640 WD HD), memory (2GB DDR400), CPU (3800X2) and GPU(9800GT, overkill but I couldn't pass up the luck on this one) to something that I'll be able to play with for the next few years. I got the first two from watching newegg for sales/rebates, craigs list for the CPU, and ebay for the GPU. I call it bleeding on the trailing edge :)

To boot, the CPU came with an extra 939 MB and heatsink, all for $30 on craigs list, which I also recommend looking at. I hope to get a few bucks back on these extras.

Note: I did see a few great AM2 deals, but by the time I added memory I wouldn't have been able to afford the other upgrades. Lucky, when I had money, I got a DFI Ultra-D so I hope to get some good OC millage out of the CPU as well.

I'll probably upgrade again when the current generation is in the same position as the AM2 gear is at today.

alizee

Aug 11, 2005
Originally posted by: deadken
...but couldn't get any results for a '939' search...

Sorry if I missed this in an earlier post, but searching the forums doesn't work when typing just "939". I made that mistake trying to find an X2 for my parents' HTPC. If I typed in "Athlon 939", it would then give me reasonable results. hope that helps when you're searching the FS/T.

By the by, the X2 my brother got in 2005, X2 4200+ (for $500...), is still kicking and it's still a very decent processor. He just upgraded to a 3870 cheap (well, maybe 4 months ago), and it's still a great system. We were playing Hellgate: London before it shut down, and now we're on to NeverWinter Nights 2. He's also playing CoD4 and Left 4 Dead, and they're playing well enough for him with decent res and AA. I still think the 939 X2s were/are good buys if you have a decent investment in DDR and a 939 mobo, and if you can find them cheap (which you can't really anymore).

Gillbot

Lifer
Jan 11, 2001
Every now and then, you can find decent deals on 939 gear. Overall, I ditched my 939 gear long ago when I saw the prices, it completely funded my transition to 775 with a few $ left over!

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
sell your stuff on ebay... buy a modern budget replacement on estores like newegg... ebay is way overpriced, ofter selling for more than a NEW item in estores like newegg... which makes it ideal for unloading stuff.. but if it is TOO old nobody will buy.
The 939 stuff was selling for way more than the AM2 stuff a little while ago, but it is downright ancient now.