Where does one buy decent HTPC cases?

Discussion in 'Audio/Video & Home Theater' started by GTaudiophile, Aug 10, 2011.

1. GTaudiophile

GTaudiophile Lifer

I am really not impressed with anything I see in stock at NE.

I really want something small, maybe aluminum, sort of iMac style for a Micro ITX mobo.

Thanks.

2. Chapbass

Chapbass Platinum Member

Origen AE has some nice cases...unfortunately they're all ATX styled.

You want Mini-ITX I'm assuming?

Logic Supply has a ton, but nothing super fancy looking, more industrialized.

3. Chapbass

Chapbass Platinum Member

4. Chapbass

Chapbass Platinum Member

5. Chapbass

Chapbass Platinum Member

6. GTaudiophile

GTaudiophile Lifer

Yeah, all pretty slick...and expensive...hmmm.

7. Chapbass

Chapbass Platinum Member

8. soulcougher73

9. Aikouka

Aikouka Lifer

10. DaveSimmons

DaveSimmons Elite Member

Directron.com and Mwave have a few cases that Newegg doesn't but nothing especially high-end.

I've also seen ads and reviews for a few niche mini-ITX cases at SlientPCReview you might check there.

Like this:
    http://www.silentpcreview.com/HDPLEX_H3.SODD

11. Chapbass

Chapbass Platinum Member

12. Aikouka

Aikouka Lifer

That's actually the one that I'm considering buying (in black though). The front USB ports are actually the selling point, because I would like my HTPCs to be able to play games such as StepMania where I would need to plug in a (USB) controller. There are only two things I don't like:

1) The price... it's a decent premium for a small feature. It's mostly made worse by the fact that the other two "lesser" models are on sale.

2) It looks like they didn't think about cabling at all. The one problem I have with my current HTPC case is that the front panel and PSU cables are too long for such a small case. It looks like the same will end up being true with that case as well.

Although, I am tempted to sacrifice size to help alleviate noise. I use a Thermaltake Slim X3 in my current HTPC, and while it certainly fits in small places, it's a bit noisier than I'd prefer in a HTPC. HTPCs need to be as quiet as possible, so I prefer the whisper quiet fans (> 80mm is preferred as well). So maybe getting one of those larger set-top/AVR-sized cases might be better.

As for their price... there's definitely a bit of a premium over the specialty boxes like the Roku, but honestly... a built HTPC just works. There's usually no worrying about whether the SoC supports a certain codec or container. As I mentioned earlier, it also allows for games, which I like.

13. Chapbass

Chapbass Platinum Member

Yeah, I'm looking at the black one as well, just easier to see the silver in the picture :)

I agree with the price thing, but honestly, I spent way mroe than that on an Ahanix D.vine 4 case back in the day, and this will give me a lot more than that did (okay, to be fair if i put modern hardware in the D.vine it would still be a lot better, but its also a full ATX massive case).

100 bucks doesn't bug me too much. Yeah, percentage wise its a lot more than the itx2, but the front usb and card reader ports are absolutely essential.

14. Chapbass

Chapbass Platinum Member

For those of you interested in a more industrial look... We use these at work (albeit not for HTPC use) and I have to say they're AWESOME.

http://www.logicsupply.com/products/de57_ha

6"x1.9"x6" with an i5/i7 chip? Yeah, its mobile, but still... fun, fun machines.