Where does leftover campaign money go after the campaign ends?

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
title says it all. I have a feeling that obama will have tons of $$ after he gets elected. It won't be fair to give back money to donators. Does it go to charity, parties for the campaign committee (im sure some goes to this). So where does it all go?

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
There are laws specifying what can be done with it.
Usually a candidate uses a part of it in support of his next election. And if its a lot of money they can use it to support other candidates.
In fact, just about the only thing they can't legally spend it on is hookers and blow.
Which does kind of make it useless.

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
[sarcasim]

Obama is going to buy massive amounts of cocaine and pile it on the desk of the oval office - kind of like Pachino in Scarface.

[/sarcasim]

Feb 6, 2007
It will be ground up and fed to schoolchildren around the country in lieu of cafeteria food. It will save billions of dollars and be implicated in the deaths of millions of children. Hey, you have break eggs to make an omelette, unless that omelette is made of money.

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
When he started realizing that he had a shit ton of money, that's when Obama started buying a lot more TV time.

He's been blowing through money in an attempt to use it, so who knows how much he will have leftover.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Where does leftover campaign money go after the campaign ends?
My guess is that he keeps it for his 2012 run. I think he could donate some to any 2010 Dem (gen elect) campaigns.

IIRC, he can't give any to HRC's primary campaign. Something about no gen elect funds going back to a primary election. I could be wrong.

Fern