Where do you get more screws to mount your hard drive?

bovinda

Nov 26, 2004
I ran out of the long screws to mount hard drives in my Antec P182 case (it included enough for three, but I'm going on four right now).

Where do you get more? Frys? Radioshack? Order online? I couldn't find any place on Antec's site to order them.

EDIT: Well, here they are... Antec link Anyone have any idea if I could just get these from a regular ole' hardware store? Or do I have to special order these?

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
If you're lazy you can mount the drive with two - steal two screws from the other drives.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
This is my favorite place for such things:

Screws

But - I never imagined that those who work on computers don't have something like this:

screws2

bovinda

Nov 26, 2004
Hey guys, thanks for the responses, but I think those are all different screws from what I'm looking for. The ones for HDs in the P182 are longer than traditional HD screws, and are only half-threaded (longer because they go through those thick rubber grommets that hold the HDs in place).

The traditional HD screws are too short to work. I wasn't sure a hardware store would have anything like what I'm looking for, but maybe it's worth a shot? Or maybe I'll just distribute the 12 screws I have among four HDs, so three each? Is that so bad...?

I'll try to find a picture of what I'm looking for, in case it helps...

EDIT: Well, here they are... Antec link Anyone have any idea if I could just get these from a regular ole' hardware store? Or do I have to special order these?

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Not to belittle the problem but, it made me think what a junk hoarder I am. After building so many systems, I rarely need to go get hardware or cables. 'There IS a good reason to keep all that junk my Precious.'

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
A fellow pack rat ... I also keep a lot of stuff, even if it is obsolete. Never know what you will need or when.

bovinda

Nov 26, 2004
Originally posted by: MagnusTheBrewer
Man, that price ($7.95) sucks!

You're telling me. Rebate Monger has a point, though...but do you guys think I could get away with using three screws for four hard drives, instead of four for each?

If not, I'm going to go ahead and order them. But if three will do, I'm just going to use that.

sswingle

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
Originally posted by: RebateMonger
Antec sells them.

Antec: Spare screws for P180/P182 hard drive mounting.

Man, that price ($7.95) sucks! Even though it includes shipping, they could at least send a dozen screws and still make a profit. Guess I haven't paid much attention to the cost of those kinds of odds and ends since I haven't had to buy them separately.

They do send a dozen...

DarkRogue

Golden Member
Dec 25, 2007
Yes, Antec sells those screws by the dozen, as it clearly says "Set of 12."

Anyway, are you sure you don't already have more in the little brown box of stuff they give you with the case?
They normally pack a ton of crap in there, including a bunch of spares. When I built my PC with a P182, I installed 5 hard drives with no need to go looking to buy more screws...

bovinda

Nov 26, 2004
No problem. At that price, three screws will work just fine.

That's what I'm gonna do then. Even it they send a dozen, if three will do the trick, I'm set for now. Thanks! :)

bovinda

Nov 26, 2004
Originally posted by: DarkRogue
Yes, Antec sells those screws by the dozen, as it clearly says "Set of 12."

Anyway, are you sure you don't already have more in the little brown box of stuff they give you with the case?
They normally pack a ton of crap in there, including a bunch of spares. When I built my PC with a P182, I installed 5 hard drives with no need to go looking to buy more screws...

I thought I did, but perhaps I placed them separately somewhere else...I keep all my lose computer parts and cables in one area, usually, and couldn't find any more. So maybe I just put them somewhere else absentmindedly. Either way, three a piece should do for now. Thanks.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
If you have an old Dell you can raid, you might be able to find long screws. They use them to mount the drives to rails for "tool-less" installation.

bovinda

Nov 26, 2004
Thanks for the suggestions guys, went with three a piece as everyone suggested, seems to be working fine. No old Dells, unforuntately! :)

Narktor

Nov 24, 2016
Hello,

I'm also in deep need of some of those long screws for mounting the hard drive vertically in the lower cage through those rubberthings ^^
If someone could send me some over (living in europe) I'd be very thankful :)
Of course I'd also pay you for it!