Where do you find your online buddies?

jdoggg12

Platinum Member
Aug 20, 2005
As a 30something y/o player, not many of my friends play games anymore. At this point, unless it's random matching like in BF or CoD, I don't play games online much anymore. My collection is very eclectic and it seems that many gamers now have very small cores of games they play. I'm now starting to feel like I'm missing out on experiences in games like TL2, FC3, N4S, etc. etc.

So, AT, where do you find your co-op and online playing friends?

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I used to play with Steam people a lot (TF2 and L4D2 mainly), but now everybody seems to have splintered off into different games, so I mainly just ending up playing everything solo.

I mean like last night, I saw that I had around 50 Steam friends online, but most of them were playing different things and I went off and played Citizens of Earth. A few years ago I could have popped into TF2 and played with a bunch of them, but now it rarely happens.

KT

Feb 6, 2007
I would always just hop into various pubs until I found one that had people on it who seemed chill, add it to my favorites and start playing there more often. That way you can get to know the people in a particular community and build friendships, doubly so if they have forums and such that people actually use. A few years back I found a community of adult gamers who were fairly laid back about gaming and didn't tolerate the usual childish name-calling and bigotry, and I ended up joining the group; now I pretty much just play with them.

MeldarthX

Golden Member
May 8, 2010
few friends I picked up was pug matches on L4D2 - one evening just found a group we clicked and stayed the whole night; we befriended each other played several more times. Moved onto other games with them BF3; BF4......etc.

Guild for TOR; was invited into a guild after about a month it imploded and I got elected as new guild leader as we reformed. *Not the first guild I've ran and since I had most time and was pretty much leading at that point* We merged with another guild; and I had to leave; came back and found all old guildies had left and formed new guild; so went and joined them.

Still have friends from old guild I ran in Diablo; UO; EQ.....which we all get together and play games....... Its not hard; most people tend to be fairly cool.....about getting together and having a blast.

psychosiz

Jan 8, 2015
Guilds in game is generally a good place since there is already something in common. Another suggestion is to create a thread and ask hey is anyone playing (insert game name here) or want to play together. I did this back in Guild Wars 1 and had success. lastly there are guilds out there (grievance) as an example, that have players in mutiple games and are a large group. I speak about grievance since I am a member and can tell you they are a great group of people. The website is http://www.grievancegaming.org if your interested.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
World of Warcraft, tbh.

I'm part of a huge guild that spans multiple MMO's... they've got a Facebook page and people are always posting looking for people to play with on Steam, XBL, etc.

ThinClient

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2013
I find them playing the same games I do. Guilds, clans, whatever you want to call them.

The group I play with now (and have been playing with for a brazillian years), I met by asking in a server-wide channel in the original All Points Bulletin if anyone wanted +1 on their team for missions. It can be that simple. :)

robvp

Aug 7, 2013
I don't really find new people, the only online "buddies" i have are people who i've been playing mmos with for the past 12 years

Jodell88

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
I would always just hop into various pubs until I found one that had people on it who seemed chill, add it to my favorites and start playing there more often. That way you can get to know the people in a particular community and build friendships, doubly so if they have forums and such that people actually use. A few years back I found a community of adult gamers who were fairly laid back about gaming and didn't tolerate the usual childish name-calling and bigotry, and I ended up joining the group; now I pretty much just play with them.
This

Firsttime

Platinum Member
Mar 31, 2005
The only people I still play with regularly are either from AT or real life friends.

Patre

May 29, 2013
I used to play with Steam people a lot (TF2 and L4D2 mainly), but now everybody seems to have splintered off into different games, so I mainly just ending up playing everything solo.

I mean like last night, I saw that I had around 50 Steam friends online, but most of them were playing different things and I went off and played Citizens of Earth. A few years ago I could have popped into TF2 and played with a bunch of them, but now it rarely happens.

KT

Well Keith, if you(or anyone else) needs a TF2 online buddy......I'm always ready to rumble. :thumbsup:

The few times that we (AT) tried to get a Fight Night thing going, never seemed to work out. So, I've kind of settled for teaming up with a few or even just one person that's online (TF2) and play.

AT is the only place I've really looked for people to meet up for a game.......then again, it's not all that important either if I don't.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
I found a server that a frequented in battlefield and joined the associated clan. They do a lot more than battlefield I have a built in group of buddies if I switch games.

Oct 9, 1999
I've been playing weekly games of Quake 2 with a group of ten-20 guys for the last 3 years. Went to 2 quakecons and hung out with them too. I played with the same guys back in 98-99 but facebook reconnected a lot of us. Now we're all old, most married and have families but we still have our weekly frag sessions.

Been a year since we've had a real tourney though:

http://www.lmctf.com/beatdown/index.html