Where do you come down on the Jefferson Adams divide in their view on the strength of government?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Dissipate

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2004
Originally posted by: joshsquall
The weakest possible federal government which still maintains the union. Read the Constitution.

Right, because that federal government wouldn't even think for a second to expand its powers.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
-snip-
The question I want to raise is which point of view has more merit. Does man tend toward the animal when unconstrained by force of law, or is goodness his natural state, a state that is basically harmed by an authoritarian state. I'm not sure, but I think Jefferson might argue that a strong state actually corrupts people rather than making them safer.

At any rate somebody has to deal with those who do actually violate other people's rights, I guess some kind of state authority.

I suppose I'm still a bit of an optimist, but I'm inclined to think man's natural state is "goodness". I've never met a mean baby. ;)

Fern