Where do we expect gas prices to be later this month, now that election is over?

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Where do you see gas prices heading one month after election day?

• going lower

Votes: 22 59.5%
  • up 25c

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • up 50c

• up 75c

• up $1.00+

Votes: 6 16.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I don't necessarily believe that crossovers and SUVs are inherently more popular amongst the public.

Ummmm..... ;)

"Americans are buying a lot more trucks and SUVs than any other country. The trucks and SUVs market has steadily intensified since the end of the recession. On the other hand, sedan sales have been declining since 2014. Currently, pick-up trucks and SUVs together form 70% of the auto market."

(hotcars.com)

• Haha
Reactions: eikelbijter
Dec 10, 2005
Ummmm..... ;)

"Americans are buying a lot more trucks and SUVs than any other country. The trucks and SUVs market has steadily intensified since the end of the recession. On the other hand, sedan sales have been declining since 2014. Currently, pick-up trucks and SUVs together form 70% of the auto market."

(hotcars.com)
And? If that's the majority of what gets made, is it a surprise that it makes up the majority of what gets sold? Consumer preference is malleable and subject to advertising pressures that help pad producers' bottom lines.

Single family homes are popular too, but it turns out that that's about all you can build in most of the US, and most of what is available for purchase. It isn't necessarily due to people having some default preference for that.

• Haha
Reactions: eikelbijter

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
When discussing the merits of vehicles (or anything else) that you have chosen to buy as an individual, there's a real tendency to "circle the wagons" around your buying decision.

This is human nature.... everyone wants to feel like they made the "right" choice and commonly this leads to being "defensive" and frankly even a bit irrational if one isn't careful.

It's 100% fine if you are happy and satisfied with your choice to buy an SUV but that decision doesn't do anything for the effects on performance from its design no matter how badly you want it to!

:p ;)
Seriously, if you paid like over 60k for a car, I bet you think it's got to be the better. Why would you spend that kind of money stupidly. That's why I gave up on CR decades ago. People's opinions suck when they are invested in the decision.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
This thread is kinda hilarious. People keep comparing compact cars to the RAV4 and claim the former is at least as good. At least the Corolla is a credible example, unlike the 78hp Mirage G4 from a few pages back. Boxy SUVs have worse aerodynamics than modern sedans/coupes, so they do suffer a bit in the fuel efficiency arena. The RAV4 is somewhat class leading at a tick above 40 mpg, whereas the Prius has exceeded 50 mpg for many years. It's just the nature of the beast, different strokes for different folks. (The real problem with fuel efficiency lies with pickup trucks.)

Yeah. You can tell me that 59 degrees is colder than 60 degrees and yeah, sure. That's technically correct.

You can tell me that 20 degrees is colder than 60 degrees and yep. That's definitely colder. No questions.

You can tell me that -41 is colder than -40 and I'm just going to say "I don't really care, those are both fucking cold".

I see a lot of arguing on technicalities while perceiving the reality as being much greater or of major consequence. When it just isn't there. But hey this is the same internet as 20 years ago, so that hasn't changed.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
it's dumb to argue my econobox is better than a RAV4 in so many ways! :tearsofjoy:

Frankly my ten + year-old Fit DOES have advantages over my exes 2021 RAV4.... along with MYRIAD disadvantages obviously.

Among them is the FACT that it can hold MORE stuff despite having considerably smaller exterior dimensions.

Plus I haven't made a car-payment in literally years and my liability insurance is $46 per month.

;)

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
The Fit is a wonderful little car. My Dad has a 2014 with like 180k miles on it. He uses it like a pickup truck. Hauls dead deer. He's a mason and hauls tools in it.

But it's not for everyone/all situations. My Mom won't ride more than 20 miles in it. My wife wouldn't touch it. And it's not a vehicle I'm putting a family of four and a weeks worth of luggage/beach gear in for multiple hour drives.

Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
The Fit is a wonderful little car. My Dad has a 2014 with like 180k miles on it. He uses it like a pickup truck. Hauls dead deer. He's a mason and hauls tools in it.

But it's not for everyone/all situations. My Mom won't ride more than 20 miles in it. My wife wouldn't touch it. And it's not a vehicle I'm putting a family of four and a weeks worth of luggage/beach gear in for multiple hour drives.

Of course.... that's where the word "comparable" comes in! ;)

The Fit rides rough due to its stiff suspension and physics rears its ugly head with a "bouncy" highway ride that's an inevitable result of its short wheelbase.

Also who @ Honda decided it was a smart idea to put a motorcycle-size battery into a car or to make the add-oil port nearly inaccessible when adding oil from a bottle?

:oops:

Last edited:

DaaQ

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2018
My ex-wife has a 2021 RAV4 Hybrid that I've driven a bunch of times plus I had a rental 2021 Corolla ICE for a few weeks last year.

The Corolla handled and rode substantially better... it's not debatable in any way PLUS "IRL" the ICE Corolla used about the same amount of gas as the HYBRID RAV4 on the highway while being much less "finicky".

I've also compared the handling/ride of a Lincoln MKT (mini-van/SUV mix) and an MKS sedan and the sedan drives a TON better although the ride quality IS very close in this case.

If you read consumer reports passenger car testing regularly you will already know these things.
You are talking about a CROSSOVER. The only minivans left are the Chrysler/Dodge ones, if they still make them. Otherwise you are into foreign manufacturer territory.

DaaQ

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2018
Of course.... that's where the word "comparable" comes in! ;)

The Fit rides rough due to its stiff suspension and physics rears its ugly head with a "bouncy" highway ride that's an inevitable result of its short wheelbase.

Also who @ Honda decided it was a smart idea to put a motorcycle-size battery into a car or to make the add-oil port nearly inaccessible when adding oil from a bottle?

:oops:
Stiff suspension has nothing to do with short wheel base. That is turning radius. While you talk physics.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
The MKT was something..... else. :confused_old:

Lincoln's intent was to replace the old (and beloved in the transportation industry) Town Car full-sized sedan and while it was at least partially successful in doing so it was otherwise a total flop.

Also are you saying that Japanese mini-vans like the Toyota Sienna are somehow NOT mini-vans.... only made in USA counts?

:p

Stiff suspension has nothing to do with short wheel base. That is turning radius. While you talk physics.

Do you have a lucid point to make here? If so I'm not seeing it. ;)

Or do you seriously believe that vehicles with short wheel-bases are not subject to a bouncy/choppy ride on the highway?

Also wtf do you think a "stiff suspension" has to do in ANY WAY with a cars turning radius?!? The wheelbase matters but it's not the only factor.... my Volvo 850 was twice the size of my Honda but could turn TIGHTER.

:tearsofjoy:

Last edited:

DaaQ

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2018

Lincoln's intent was to replace the old (and beloved in the transportation industry) Town Car full-sized sedan and while it was at least partially successful in doing so it was otherwise a total flop.

Also are you saying that Japanese mini-vans like the Toyota Sienna are somehow NOT mini-vans.... only made in USA counts?

Wow, just wow.

You argue ride height, which minivans have, argue short wheel bases cause bouncing, and that it's physics and not design for stuff like body roll.

You take a civic or corolla at 70 mph on a highway and lose control of it and hit the dirt shoulder at highway speeds and it will roll as well. That is physics.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Plus I haven't made a car-payment in literally years and my liability insurance is $46 per month.

;)
Why am I paying $53/mo. for my liability insurance when I'm driving under 450 miles/year and haven't had a ticket or accident in over 50 years?

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Wow, just wow.

You argue ride height, which minivans have, argue short wheel bases cause bouncing, and that it's physics and not design for stuff like body roll.

You take a civic or corolla at 70 mph on a highway and lose control of it and hit the dirt shoulder at highway speeds and it will roll as well. That is physics.

So now the argument is that vehicles with a higher center of gravity actually DON'T roll over more easily than those with a lower one do?

Keep going .... this is fun. ;)

You take two otherwise identical vehicles and ONLY raise the suspension 6 inches (NO other changes) and you think it will handle the same?

Reactions: Muse

DaaQ

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2018

Or do you seriously believe that vehicles with short wheel-bases are not subject to a bouncy/choppy ride on the highway?

Also wtf do you think a "stiff suspension" has to do in ANY WAY with a cars turning radius?!? The wheelbase matters but it's not the only factor.... my Volvo 850 was twice the size of my Honda but could turn TIGHTER.

:tearsofjoy:
Let be technical then, a stiff suspension has to do with a manufacturers choice of strut or shock/spring stiffness. Body roll, along with the center of gravity and mass height of the vehicle ALSO depends on sway bar thickness.
To your last point there is no way in physics that a longer WHEELBASE vehicle will have a smaller turning radius than a shorter wheelbase vehicle, unless per chance you are comparing rear wheel drive vs front wheel drive with CV joint axles limiting the steering rack's distance of travel.

Do they still make the Town & Country or Caravan?

DaaQ

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2018
So now the argument is that vehicles with a higher center of gravity actually DON'T roll over more easily than those with a lower one do?

Keep going .... this is fun. ;)

You take two otherwise identical vehicles and ONLY raise the suspension 6 inches (NO other changes) and you think it will handle the same?
You are the one who brought up PHYSICS. Mass times acceleration equals force. When those tires stop skidding and grab, inertia will flip the vehicle. doesn't matter if it's a F1 race car.

Why are you raising the suspension 6 inches? Is that the difference between a Corolla and Rav4?

EDIT: I don't think you know jack all about vehicles other than personal experience and literature/opinion pieces.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Chryslers "deluxe" mini-van I believe is called the Pacifica now.

The MKT was discontinued because livery companies were the only people that bought them. (and a LOT of passengers hated them)

Far as the turning radius goes both the Volvo and the Honda are/were FWD and the Volvo had a longer wheelbase but its front wheels would cut extremely tight turns in comparison.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
EDIT: I don't think you know jack all about vehicles other than personal experience and literature/opinion pieces.

Find somebody else to fight with anger-boy. ;)

REALLY obvious that's what you mainly have in mind.

Btw I've run transportation companies and worked on my own cars for more than 30 years.

Last edited:

DaaQ

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2018
Chryslers "deluxe" mini-van I believe is called the Pacifica now.

The MKT was discontinued because livery companies were the only people that bought them. (and a LOT of passengers hated them)

Far as the turning radius goes both the Volvo and the Honda are/were FWD and the Volvo had a longer wheelbase but its front wheels would cut extremely tight turns in comparison.

Pacifica is a Crossover.

Find somebody else to fight with anger-boy. ;)

I've run transportation companies and worked on my own cars for more than 30 years.

Not an angry boy here, and I usually enjoy your posts, but you are just wrong. Admit it or don't.

Worked in Automotive industry and still work on mine and others vehicles for more than 35 years.

You are misplacing physics and design choices. Period.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
You are misplacing physics and design choices. Period.

Perhaps it's your communication skills that could use a bit of polish rather than anything technical.

You've yet to explain how anything I said was "wrong" in a way that makes sense but don't let that stop you from being critical and nasty.

DaaQ

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2018
Perhaps it's your communication skills that could use a bit of polish rather than anything technical.

You've yet to explain how anything I said was "wrong" in a way that makes sense but don't let that stop you from being critical and nasty.
Short wheelbase makes vehicle bouncy. That is wrong. Vehicle design using too stiff of struts or coil springs would.
To your wheel base turning radius, since you state they are both FWD, maybe check the wheel base measurements, vs total vehicle length. Caster and camber can play a role but generally won't. To the extent you describe.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Here’s Why the Original Chrysler Pacifica Failed

Original 2004 Pacifica Crossover

pacifica-4.jpg

Vs the CURRENT Pacifica which is ABSOLUTELY based on a mini-van chassis.
(my limo company tried these AND I rented one for several weeks)

2021-chrysler-pacifica-awd-109-1605751992.jpg

2022_chrysler_pacifica_passenger-minivan_hybrid-pinnacle_fq_oem_1_1280.jpg

DaaQ

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2018
Fact of the matter is gas prices have gone down after the election. Exception of diesel.

• Haha
Reactions: Captante