Where do I stand???11 (yagt)

bsmithy

Oct 24, 2003
For the last 2 years I have been living with my Girlfreind in our flat.
She has been attending college while I have been working to support her.

Unfortunately we have decided to split up (mutual) as things are not working out.

What makes things complicated is that her mother has been paying a portion of the rent (1/3) since we moved in, she is also named as a tenant on the rent agreement (we had no references).

My now ex gf and her mother want me to move out (which is fair enough as I can't afford the rent alone).
The problem is that alot of the things we have accumulated over the years (cd, dvd, games etc.) have been provided by both of us.
Also the majority of furnature has been provided by my ex's family.

How does splitting ownership of belongings work if a couple is not married?
Is there anything I can do which will benefit me now?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Damn, that's a tough one. Just try to split it up equally...i.e., you take half the stuff that was mutually acquired, and she takes the other half.

Mr N8

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
You're going to have to fight that one out on your own. Hopefully, you can calmly agree on what you each should take, especially based on who bought it or who uses it. Don't go nuts, I don't want to see you on Cops throwing cheeseburgers at each other.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
eh... there's a way to divide things up fairly that involves each of you assigning a value to each mutually-owned item, but it sounds like it's mostly small stuff and not worth the trouble to nitpick. Just talk it over with her and try to decide amicably who gets what. It sounds like it was a clean breakup, I'd hope you wouldn't have any problems with it.

woowoo

Platinum Member
Feb 17, 2003
Start with a list
Your stuff, Her stuff, And co-owned stuff.

Sit down with her and work it out.

(Then hit it one last time..)

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
Don't fight. Hopefully you're not an ass (you don't sound like one) and your ex-gf is not a bitch (she doesn't sound like one), so don't let it get that way. Split things up equitably.

dpm

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2002
Sounds like the breakup is on relatively ok terms, in which case you should be able to, say, split the stuff 50/50, which would seem fair.

Good luck.

bsmithy

Oct 24, 2003
Originally posted by: woowoo
Start with a list
Your stuff, Her stuff, And co-owned stuff.

Sit down with her and work it out.

(Then hit it one last time..)

sounds like a plan.

although it's not as easy with the things that her mother "gave" to us (fridge, microwave) and as she will be staying in the flat it makes sense for those things to stay there.

we have split up the dvd's but the dvd player is staying with the flat :(
i might ask her to contribute a little to my deposit for my new place (as she'll be getting all the expensive stuff) but I don't want to sound like I'm demanding it.