Where do I find the prehisortic/modern fish they found a few years back?

brian_riendeau

Platinum Member
Oct 15, 1999
Ok, this is going to sound really strange but please bear with me. And yes, this really happened :)

A while ago I was watching a short segment on the Discovery Channel or TLC. The segment was about a huge fish that got itself trapped in a harbor (behind some fishing nets I think). The fish was believed to be extint millions of years. If my memory serves me correctly the fish was large and gray with a very blunt messed up looking head. Scientists and other observed the fish for a length of time as the fish just hovered and swam slowly in the water. No attempts were made to capture the fish. Since the fish was thought extinct, they did not want to harm it at all. They tagged the fish with a tracking devices and released if from the nets. The fish swam out into the ocean and then dove so deep the tracking device stopped working.

I need to get more info and some pictures about the fish they found. Most of you are probably goung, "he must be crazy" but I am hoping that at least one person out there knows what I am talking about and can help me. Thanks.

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I remember reading about those fish. I think it was off the east coast of Africa. Good memory, Moonbeam!

dennilfloss

Past Lifer 1957-2014 In Memoriam
Oct 21, 1999
dennilfloss.blogspot.com
http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/vertebrates/coelacanth/coelacanths.html

That is a new location. Before, they were just known from near Madagascar since 1938. I would tend to disagree with those who see the Actinistia (coelacanths) or Dipnoi (lungfish) as direct ancestors to the tetrapods. Morphological and biogeographical evidence strongly favours another group of related fish, the Osteolepiform rhipidistians.

The Heart Survives (REO Speedwagon)