Where did the term "screensaver" come from?

TheCorm

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 2000
What does it actually save???

I have just read that it can help TFT monitors by having a screensaver but was wondering where the term came from originally.

Jamie

p.s: If you don't know the answer, how bout you post your current screensaver ;)

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Old monitors that sat with the same stuff on the screen all the time, would have a ghost of that image burned in the screen, so to fix this, they made screensavers which just bascially made stuff move around so it wouldnt burn the crt.

Spooner

Lifer
Jan 16, 2000
is it possible to burn images with newer monitors? i heard that screensavers are utterly useless these days

godmare

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2002
Originally posted by: Intake77
Old monitors that sat with the same stuff on the screen all the time, would have a ghost of that image burned in the screen, so to fix this, they made screensavers which just bascially made stuff move around so it wouldnt burn the crt.

yup.
Just look at an arcade monitor that's turned off.

Mutilator

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2000
Originally posted by: Spooner
is it possible to burn images with newer monitors? i heard that screensavers are utterly useless these days
They still burn in. We have some newer Trinitrons at work that prove it. :disgust:

TheCorm

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 2000
Interesting....so the name is pretty accurate then!

Flying Toasters?....link please! :)

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000

It's not as much of a problem as it used to be, I havnt seen any in a loooong time.

xirtam

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2001
The biggest danger was in those monochrome monitors... the green phosphor-based teletypish things. After some letters got burned into the filament, the concept of a screensaver was designed to prevent or at least mitigate the problem. Since then, screensavers are largely for entertainment and and the "bling bling" effect.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: godmare
Originally posted by: TheCorm

It came with Win95 iirc.

No, it came with a SS program that was very popular, but I can't think of the name right now.

Edit: "After Dark"

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
I doubt you guys actually use flying toasters anymore ;)

I loved After Dark collections.... too bad I havnt seen them around anymore.... did they go under?

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Amused

It came with Win95 iirc.

No, it came with a SS program that was very popular, but I can't think of the name right now.

After Dark!

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

It came with Win95 iirc.

Flying Toasters came from the After Dark screen saver suite.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Intake77
Originally posted by: Amused

It came with Win95 iirc.

After Dark!

Yeah, I just remembered before I saw this, and edited my post. :D

My friend has a ghost image of Seti @ Home on his Mac. D0H! Great screen saver!

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Back in the day (pre-Windows), I saw many a monitor with a ghostly C:\> in the upper left corner.

Wolverine27

Platinum Member
Dec 7, 2000

I have just read that it can help TFT monitors by having a screensaver but was wondering where the term came from originally.

Jamie

p.s: If you don't know the answer, how bout you post your current screensaver ;)

As others have mentioned...it literally saves your screen. BTW, I use the Matrix code screen saver.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999

Search for berkley software, the afterdark series.

dabuddha

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Originally posted by: Wolverine27

Jamie

As others have mentioned...it literally saves your screen. BTW, I use the Matrix code screen saver.

http://whatisthematrix.warnerbros.com/dld/matrix.zip

enjoy

kt

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2000
Originally posted by: Mutilator
They still burn in. We have some newer Trinitrons at work that prove it. :disgust:

You guys never heard of power saving mode? All newer monitors goes into power saving mode if left idle for 15 or so minutes. Which render burn in almost impossible.