Where did the Borg come from?

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
Yeah, I'm still watching Star Trek... it's a Borg episode where they capture one and want to release him back into the collective with a "virus."

I don't ever recall hearing any info about where the Borg came from... were they from a race of people who created cyborgs to use as slaves or something, and eventually the computers took over like in the Matrix?

PowerMacG5

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2002
Go watch all the episodes of TNG, they tell you in one. Oh, and as Chumpman said, you are overanalyzing the show.

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
They just named him Hugh... and he said "we are Hugh." They should have named him "flaming homosexuals who dance around naked and probe eachother."

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
The Delta quadrant, duh.
rolleye.gif

:D

Edit: now thats either impressive or sad, i can't decide

AMCRambler

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2001
I think the new Star Trek show called "Enterprise" kind of got into it a little in one of their episodes. They found a Borg on earth in Antarctica or something that had crash landed there a million years ago or something. He was all froze so they thawed him out and he woke up and went nuts. It was a cool episode. They still don't really tell you where they came from, but it kind of seems like it might be developed in later episodes.

Beau

Lifer
Jun 25, 2001
www.beauscott.com
Originally posted by: Jeff7181
Duh... but who created the machines that started taking over races?

perhaps it was a being similar to data, gone very awry (of course he wouldn't be related to Data, but you get the idea.)

I don't know that it's ever been fully explained, but I believe they hint on it in First Contact.

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Beau
Duh... but who created the machines that started taking over races?

perhaps it was a being similar to data, gone very awry (of course he wouldn't be related to Data, but you get the idea.)

I don't know that it's ever been fully explained, but I believe they hint on it in First Contact.

Downloading... I mean... renting... First Contact :D

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Stealth1024
they came from the leftover terminators after the machines became self-aware...

Wouldn't the alpha quadrant have been assimilated first then? They came from the delta quadrant.

thenerdguy

Jan 24, 2003
Ummm
Vger was fixed by the borg if I remember correctly. Spock mind melded with vger and was added to the collective and captain kirk and picard did a dual mind meld with spock and was cleaned of the borgy programming.
Kirk also blew up the borg home world.

I need to reread The Returne. William shatner wrote it.

Reliant

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
Originally posted by: thenerdguy
Ummm
Vger was fixed by the borg if I remember correctly. Spock mind melded with vger and was added to the collective and captain kirk and picard did a dual mind meld with spock and was cleaned of the borgy programming.
Kirk also blew up the borg home world.

I need to reread The Returne. William shatner wrote it.

The power was out all yesterday for me, so I read that book again, kinda funny you mentioned it.

samgau

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
I kinda like Janeway.... I don't see why people don't like her.... maybe its the fact that its a woman as an authority figure....

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
Originally posted by: samgau
I kinda like Janeway.... I don't see why people don't like her.... maybe its the fact that its a woman as an authority figure....

I don't like her cause she sucks as an actress. Her character looks very "forced," like she's trying too hard... unlike Picard who was a natural leader.

kt

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2000

I don't like her cause she sucks as an actress. Her character looks very "forced," like she's trying too hard... unlike Picard who was a natural leader.

Agreed. I don't dislike the Janeway character, but the actress playing the character. Patrick Stewart plays the Picard role well.

bernse

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2000
Originally posted by: kt

Agreed. I don't dislike the Janeway character, but the actress playing the character. Patrick Stewart plays the Picard role well.

That's because Patrick Stewart > Kate Mulgrew for acting ability.

Patrick Stewart is great.

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
Originally posted by: bernse
Originally posted by: kt

That's because Patrick Stewart > Kate Mulgrew for acting ability.

Patrick Stewart is great.

He played a gay man on Frasier.