Question Where can you get a decent nVidia graphics card these days?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I'm sure there's a big ongoing discussion about the short supply of GFX cards, but I wanted to buy one in the not-too-distant future.

My GTX-1070 Mini OC card, when you can find it, is priced at around $1,000!! I paid half that amount four years ago!

I need a "Mini" card -- or I want one. All I find out there is an ASUS GTX-1650 or 1660. And I was interested in an RTX-2070 Mini. Fat chance!

WHEN can we find decent graphics cards again?! What the hell is going on? The story I heard has to do with some bitcoin-mining-fever. I just don't understand it!

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Making a GPU would require a lot of investment. You basically need to be a company like Intel or Apple to foot that kind of bill.

New companies are just designing ASICs for mining. The design is more simple and you don't need to worry about having to compete against AMD or Nvidia and trying to claw market share away from either.

Feb 4, 2009
Hard to imagine these prices would stay this high for so long. It would be interesting to see if this spawned the demand for other companies to make their own 3D cards. Perhaps a new 3dfx will come back? :p

I’ve been wondering this. How long until we see some other company start making cards besides intel?
I guess the real problem would be who can make them but at some point it has to be worth it for Samsung or whomever to change manufacturing.

bejellio

Mar 29, 2021
I’ve been wondering this. How long until we see some other company start making cards besides intel?
I guess the real problem would be who can make them but at some point it has to be worth it for Samsung or whomever to change manufacturing.

I don't want to take this off topic, but I was completely confused by the link in your post....Then I realized it was your signature. :laughing:

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
Your local drug dealer will have them stocked, between the Heroin and the Crystal.

I would like to say this is untrue. 5 seconds makes it sound as if you have a chance.

It is more like 5 nanoseconds. You have no chance whatsoever. The bots are assembled in massive numbers in the cloud, typically at the same cloud hosting facility that is hosting the service the sells the GPU. It is many thousands of bots with inhuman reflexes and 0 latency VS you, the pathetic meat bag with a crappy >1 ms connection and 270+ ms reaction time.

Your odds of success are: None, Nada, Zip, Zilch, Zero, and Not gonna happen.
Dream on pathetic human!

Welcome to cloud! Welcome the glorious AI driven future!

. . .

ps:
Dark twist of cruel fate: The same style system is being implemented for your Covid vaccine signup.

Probably need to buy a lottery ticket. Scored a 3080, 3090, PS5, XBX, and most recently got a COVID vaccine shot during this pandemic. Also I was unemployed during the $600 federal subsidy for 2 months, took a trip to help out a friend in Puerto Rico for 10 days during those 2 months, and then landed a job making 30% more money after being laid off. My only stroke of bad luck was pretty bad though. My mother passed away unexpectedly just shy of 3 weeks ago.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
These cards are built for gaming but gamers can't actually get them. Can you imagine a world where nike sneakers were being bought up and athletes were playing soccer and basketball in flip flops because they couldn't get them? Ridiculous.

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Probably need to buy a lottery ticket. Scored a 3080, 3090, PS5, XBX, and most recently got a COVID vaccine shot during this pandemic. Also I was unemployed during the $600 federal subsidy for 2 months, took a trip to help out a friend in Puerto Rico for 10 days during those 2 months, and then landed a job making 30% more money after being laid off. My only stroke of bad luck was pretty bad though. My mother passed away unexpectedly just shy of 3 weeks ago.

Sorry for your loss, my friend.

Reactions: Rigg and Golgatha

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Hard to imagine these prices would stay this high for so long. It would be interesting to see if this spawned the demand for other companies to make their own 3D cards. Perhaps a new 3dfx will come back? :p

I'd imagine that it would probably take a solid 3 years of R&D to create a video card that could compete with AMD or Nvidia. Who knows what the graphics card market might look like by then.

NickelPlate

Nov 9, 2006
At this point with demand so high and the market so lucrative, the current landscape is screaming for someone else to step up and make GPUs and personally I'd be all for it. Someone who's hungry to tap into this starving market with the right talent and experienced engineers it could happen probably less than 3 years.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
At this point with demand so high and the market so lucrative, the current landscape is screaming for someone else to step up and make GPUs and personally I'd be all for it. Someone who's hungry to tap into this starving market with the right talent and experienced engineers it could happen probably less than 3 years.
There was an article about a Chinese company building one for servers, AI and HPC duty, not gaming so much.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
If you watched Nvidia's keynote speech today, it seems like they're more interested in building supercomputers and getting into Enterprise AI than expanding GPU manufacturing capacity. :(

Feb 4, 2009
There was an article about a Chinese company building one for servers, AI and HPC duty, not gaming so much.

I do not claim to be an expert.
How difficult would it be for any run of the mill chip maker to buy some pattens and engineer their own meat & potatoes type card.
Not super high performance just lower mid range.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
If you watched Nvidia's keynote speech today, it seems like they're more interested in building supercomputers and getting into Enterprise AI than expanding GPU manufacturing capacity. :(

Enterprise and AI has much higher margins. When you are limited in the number of wafers you can buy, you want to maximise your profit from each one.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
I do not claim to be an expert.
How difficult would it be for any run of the mill chip maker to buy some pattens and engineer their own meat & potatoes type card.
Not super high performance just lower mid range.

Maybe that is why gtx 1080ti and 1650 are having a comeback?

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Wey-uulll! This thread sparked enough replies!

For myself, looking at the prospects and what they're intended for, I've finally broken with my practice of exclusively using the "Buy it Now" button on Ebay, choosing to make a bid. For what I want it for, I don't need as good as an RTX 2070 ro 3070. The target price in the bidding war is roughly half what the unit would have cost brand new before the Great GPU Drought of 2020-2021.

The fallback is a GTX 970 I have, sitting in my parts locker. If I use it, it will alter an aspect of my case and cooling solution. Or, if it doesn't, it bodes for more tedium to work around the full size of the 970 board.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
What about a 3060 or 3060 Ti? Best Buy drops them every 1-2 weeks (they dropped today), and as long as you stick with the Founder's Edition (3060 Ti only) or EVGA, the price is good. Every other AIB has pretty ridiculous prices. I think Linus Tech Tips is going to be doing another one of their Verified Gamer sales soon, but it's a bit awkward because it goes live when a random video, which has the information on it, goes live. However, it looks like they received a bunch of EVGA stock recently, and those ought to be well priced.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Well today I somehow beat the odds and the bots. Bestbuy had a drop and I was ready. So ready that I manually scored 3060ti fe, msi 3070, 3070 fe, 3080 fe, and 3090 fe. All to be delivered next week. Yep I got 5 cards. I'm still flabbergasted on this. They are already spoken for too. These going to friends and family for those wondering.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Well today I somehow beat the odds and the bots. Bestbuy had a drop and I was ready. So ready that I manually scored 3060ti fe, msi 3070, 3070 fe, 3080 fe, and 3090 fe. All to be delivered next week. Yep I got 5 cards. I'm still flabbergasted on this. They are already spoken for too. These going to friends and family for those wondering.

A very heart-warming and wholesome post up until all of your friends turn out to be crypto miners and you have a family full of scalpers.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
A very heart-warming and wholesome post up until all of your friends turn out to be crypto miners and you have a family full of scalpers.

Naw, they all gamers. Cousin still using an old ATI 5950 and has decided to get back into playing modern games. He has been using the computer I literally built him almost 12 years ago still. I am tossing him my old 1700x my wife was using with one of the cards I got. Should hold him over for another 12 years.

Reactions: Mopetar

scineram

Nov 1, 2020
Naw, they all gamers. Cousin still using an old ATI 5950 and has decided to get back into playing modern games. He has been using the computer I literally built him almost 12 years ago still. I am tossing him my old 1700x my wife was using with one of the cards I got. Should hold him over for another 12 years.
Not if you give him Nvidia with the 1700X.