Where can I sell my comic books?

SyahM

Golden Member
Nov 6, 2001
Can you guys help me, I need to sell my comic book - superman, spiderman, lots of em ' - but i don't know what store will take them?
any suggestion?

TIA.

Spooner

Lifer
Jan 16, 2000
Hmmm...... i have a bunhc of old school mint condition comic books

I should do that

they got an online listing of what each is worth?

SyahM

Golden Member
Nov 6, 2001
so ebay is the only place? I guess i better start calling local comic book store.

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000
Originally posted by: SyahM
so ebay is the only place? I guess i better start calling local comic book store.

Unless you have good issues, you're better of selling on Ebay. If you find some local place that would buy, their going to buy them cheap enough to where they can sell and make a profit. You won't get anywhere near their listed value.

List the decent ones that you have.

djheater

Lifer
Mar 19, 2001
As the ex manager of a comic book store, I reccomend you hold onto them.

Stores typically buy for 25% of value for most books On rare merch they MIGHT go up to 50%

From my experience they mean far more to you than you'll make off of them, if you can't stand them anymore sell them to a kid for a few bucks.

SpiderX

Golden Member
Jan 16, 2002
Let me know what Spider-Man ones you have. I might take them off your hands.

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000
Has anyone noticed the price of comic books and even sports cards dropping significantly over the past few years. Before allt he Image early issues like Spawn and Gen13 were worth over $10. Now they are like a buck. Is comic book collecting even a hobby anymore? I mean are there any "rarities" in modern comicbooks?

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
Originally posted by: sygyzy
Has anyone noticed the price of comic books and even sports cards dropping significantly over the past few years. Before allt he Image early issues like Spawn and Gen13 were worth over $10. Now they are like a buck. Is comic book collecting even a hobby anymore? I mean are there any "rarities" in modern comicbooks?

I don't think so. Not in my neck of the woods. I think sports cards still have a high value though.

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000
Originally posted by: sygyzy

It seems like the only decent modern (1990's on) comic has been Spawn. And those have dropped a fair amount. Last I checked the early issues were still over 10 bucks. They may have plummeted since then for all I know.

KokomoGST

Diamond Member
Nov 13, 2001
The collector's "boom" of the 90s is gone... I have a ton of those silly variants and whatnots. Didn't pay more than cover price for them but it was fun collecting and reading them anywho.

I do still have quite a good issues of Wolverine, Xmen, and Xmen related comics. Heck, I have a lot of Image & Valiant comics too. Though I do have some good DC comics like Superman (the actual resurrection issue) as well as cool miniseries like Kingdom Come. Honestly I can't let them go.

ReiAyanami

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2002
recycle them to save the environment... :moon:

no just kidding, but selling them on the bay means ebay will take up most your profits, and there are so many comic books its more of a commodity unless you have an ultra rare mint condition 1st edition of something. ur better off holding onto them and then selling them when demand is high, like when the next spiderman movie comes out, list spidey comic books and dont forget to include free mary jane with every purchase

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000
Originally posted by: KokomoGST
The collector's "boom" of the 90s is gone... I have a ton of those silly variants and whatnots. Didn't pay more than cover price for them but it was fun collecting and reading them anywho.

I do still have quite a good issues of Wolverine, Xmen, and Xmen related comics. Heck, I have a lot of Image & Valiant comics too. Though I do have some good DC comics like Superman (the actual resurrection issue) as well as cool miniseries like Kingdom Come. Honestly I can't let them go.

I think my favorite comic was Superman: Speeding Bullets. It was an elseworlds where (I don't remember exactly how it goes) basically Clark Kent was shaped by the same experiences that created Batman. So, in Gotham City, you had Batman, but with Superman's powers. Pretty cool story.

SyahM

Golden Member
Nov 6, 2001
I really can't keep them anymore. i need to sell them now for $$$. I'm not looking for much. $1 each and i'll be happy, of course I'll sell some of the special like superman wedding for a bit more :)

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000
Originally posted by: KokomoGST

I agree. I remmember when variants were actually special. And the #0 issue. Remember X-O Manowar and Rai? Now die cut, silver foil, etc are all expected. I wonder how comic book stores make money now? Probably just straight markup on (i.e. cover price).

nsafreak

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2001
I would probably say eBay is your best bet. Personally I just got into collecting comics myself and I'm enjoying the comics I'm reading. Especially the HUSH series that's going in Batman currently. Have the beginning of the series to current, this series may well be worth a good bit down the road. Have some signed Spider Mans and other comics as well.

SportSC4

Golden Member
Aug 29, 2002
Try the FS forum first. Would be sucky to have to pay for ebay's listing fee for something that goes for 1$
I may buy some Superman comics from you, lemme know which ones you have (if it isn't any problem)

Collecting in the '90s was worthless (money wise). The comic companies oversaturated the population and throw foil on cruddy comics in order to sell them. I mean, c'mon... how many of us have the Death of Superman somewhere? Collecting in hopes that they would be worth significantly more in the future is not gonna happen.

Anyone remember "Union" by Image Comics? Man, that was probably one of the only comics I liked (why? I dunno) but never really was that popular.