Where can I put up a non open source project?

Gunnar

Jan 3, 2000

Hey all,

Well, I've developed a little piece of software that I'd like people to use. Its a Java program that turns a picture directory into a browsable webpage complete with thumbnails. Thing is, I'm not ready to open the source yet (its pretty much version 0.9), but the project has reached usable form and I'd like people to give me feedback. How would I go about doing this? I could buy a domain and put up a webpage, but I want to see how the program takes before I do that.

I looked at Sourceforge and Freshmeat, I'm not sure what their policy is on Freeware that isn't open source yet. Any ideas?

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
submit to places like download.com

i've done this before. you'll get a lot of exposure

Gunnar

Jan 3, 2000

well, I have to find some webspace before I link it directly to here. I'd be more than happy to distribute it here, does AT provide some tiny bit of space? I need a bout 22k.....

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: amnesiac 2.0
Originally posted by: notfred
link to it here. I'll try it, although I doubt it's better than iPhoto.

But PC users can't have iPhoto :)

But he's not a PC user (he has an iBook).

Beattie

Golden Member
Sep 6, 2001

I really dislike iPhoto... it's just waaaay too slow and requires importing photos into it so that they can't be used from the finder in other places.

ThisIsMatt

Banned
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: Gunnar
well, I have to find some webspace before I link it directly to here. I'd be more than happy to distribute it here, does AT provide some tiny bit of space? I need a bout 22k.....
You go to cornell and have no webspace? lol...I think I have 5 different servers with access at school :p

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
i think according to the GPL you don't have to open the code until you have a proper release or something like that... which is why lindows didn't release its code for a while

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Gunnar
I could buy a domain and put up a webpage, but I want to see how the program takes before I do that.

Register a domain name at NameCheap.com for $8.88/yr and I'll host your website for free for a limited time.

You'll have full control over the website and it's content (which has to be absolutely 100% legal with no questionable content at all) using your very own cPanel.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Beattie

I really dislike iPhoto... it's just waaaay too slow and requires importing photos into it so that they can't be used from the finder in other places.

uh, it puts all the pictures in: /Users/name/Pictures/