Where can I get some Cranolin Red?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by MrBond, Mar 12, 2002.

1. MrBond

MrBond Diamond Member

Some time back, when I was building my first PC (one of the p2 cartridges), it was having trouble getting it to post. My dad pulled out this vial of red liquid he called "red cranolin" (sp), a clear red liquid, and he cleaned the contacts with it. For some reason, that seemed to work. What little I can find about it on the internet says it's a deoxidizer (and possibly know as cranolin red), but the stuff is damn near impossible to find. My father has less then 10ml left, and he's always very careful with it, as he said it's no longer made. It's not something he uses every day, but when he does use it, it's very nice to have. I'd like to pick up some for myself, anyone know where they can buy it?

2. dkozloski

dkozloski Diamond Member

Cramolin Red!

3. bagaki

bagaki Senior member

4. gsaldivar

gsaldivar Diamond Member

"...The best contact, switch, and potentiometer cleaner I have ever used is Cramolin Contaclean, formerly known as Cramolin Red. Caig used to import this from Germany in bulk, package it in spray cans here in the USA, and sell it as their own product. It seems at some point Caig decided to sell a different product (maybe they make more money on it?) Caig then put out a totally misleading story about the EPA and Cramolin to explain why it was no longer available. Actually the EPA had problems only with the propellant Caig added when they packaged Cramolin in spray cans, and not with Cramolin itself. Caig's replacement product is called De-Oxit, which in my experience does not work anywhere near as good as Cramolin Contaclean. A couple of years ago I discovered Cramolin in Germany, and bought a case of Contaclean. It works just as good as it did back when I was buying it from Caig. The German packaging puts over twice as much in a can as Caig did, which makes it a better value. There is now a source where you can buy Cramolin products by the can (or case) here in the USA. Mark Strong is importing it and selling it..." LINK1 LINK2