where can I get more info on how cpu's work

ewibolo07

Nov 25, 2003
what is fsb, 12 x 166MHz FSB = 2GHz , I don't know how to calculate this stuff. I would really appreciate someone directing me to a source where I could learn more info. I am really interested in this. Thanks a lot

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
These forums are a good place to start...

The Front Side Bus is the link between the CPU itself and the northbridge (where the memory controller is located) on the motherboard. The FSB speed is also called the external clock speed. We get the CPU's internal speed by multiplying the external clock speed by the multiplier.

It becomes more complicated when you introduce Double Data Rate buses because the effective speed is twice the actual clock speed, which is why you hear about Athlon XP's with 333 Mhz FSB's. It's really a 166 Mhz bus, but because it's double data rate, twice as much data is transfered per tick of the clock. So to figure the internal speed, you always have to take into consideration whether the bus is single data rate, double data rate, or quad data rate like the Pentium 4. The 800 Mhz bus Pentium 4's use a 200 Mhz bus, but data is transmitted 4 times per clock cycle, so in effect "800 Mhz worth of data" is transmitted.

I'll stop there... =) I don't know of any links off the top of my head that explain all this stuff in great detail, but for the most basic understanding of how CPU's work, any books geared towards the A+ Certification will give you an understanding of how CPU's work at the most basic, over-simplified level.

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
I have the book by Michael Meyers for the A+ Certification... that explains it VERY well. I haven't read too many others.