Where can I get cheap Compact Flash Cards?

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
I need 2 512 meg cards or 1 1GB card where can i get one for th eleast? price watch doesnt help me it turns up too many things that arnt CF cards

These are for my Nikon D70 which will be ordered in the next 20 min or so

Sketcher

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2001
Congrats on the D70! Nice Camera.

This might be worth looking at: 512MB CF = $70.00

Lexar has some rebates for their 512MB+ Pro cards, but they're a bit spendy (sweet reader/transfer speeds though).

Sketcher

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2001
BTW,

Definitely go for two 512MB cards rather than one 1GB card if it's all you're going to carry for a while. Better to have that 2nd card for backup in case of loss/damage/whatever.

z0mb13

Lifer
May 19, 2002
or u can break a rio player open a get a 4gig CF card :D

I dunno if this is true or not..

Sketcher

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2001
Oh, you mean this Muvo?

True. Very few have actually been received. A bunch of people in the photography forums have ordered the player but haven't received yet. For the price, it's a good deal - but; it's still a microdrive.

virtuamike

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2000
You're spending $1300 on a camera and you're skimping on CF cards?

Get a couple of those

With a DSLR, you'll appreciate the faster card speeds.

Sketcher

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2001
Originally posted by: virtuamike
You're spending $1300 on a camera and you're skimping on CF cards?

Get a couple of those

With a DSLR, you'll appreciate the faster card speeds.
Hey, just because you front $1,300.00 for a camera body doesn't mean you have ends to go full tilt on everything else right off. There are lenses to consider, as well as flash and other accessories.

Memory speed is a relative factor of function when considering bang for the buck and not all DSLR's take advantage of higher speed capability of the more spendy cards. The D70 however, does benefit from the higher speed rated cards as noted in Rob Galbraith's exhaustive D70 CF Database but it's also worth noting that not all higher rated cards have the best showing per camera body across the board. So plunking down some quid on a 48x CF might actually be a foolish decision if it's not the better CF for the job.

Manufacturer warranty is also an important aspect to consider. Lexar cards have some of the best support and replacement warranties for their CF's. Their "Pro" line carries lifetime warranties and their tech support is known in the DSLR forums as being top notch. I would say, at least in buying Lexar media you really are getting what you pay for relative to other manufacturers.

Cheers