Where can I get balls like this?

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Originally posted by: dug777
Fill them up with sand for free?

The center pole of the stands is open, top and bottom. I'd have to weld a plate on there. I have some similar stands that I made (they are pretty nice, actually) but these are more attractive looking. Plus, sand is a PITA...makes a real mess most of the time.

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004
Originally posted by: MichaelD
Originally posted by: dug777
Fill them up with sand for free?

The center pole of the stands is open, top and bottom. I'd have to weld a plate on there. I have some similar stands that I made (they are pretty nice, actually) but these are more attractive looking. Plus, sand is a PITA...makes a real mess most of the time.

In that case, buy a whole lot of steel ball bearings (new or used), then find some epoxy/resin crap you can dip them in...

Or, i'd just bite the bullet & pay for these puppies...You could always mug a single mother for the cash ;)

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004
Originally posted by: Nohr
Uhh, aren't those just mouse balls?

Looks like it, but I don't think mouseballs are heavy enough to be used as weights.

What are the diameter of these things?

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
I've heard of people using blasting beads, supposed to be much cleaner & easier to deal with than sand (much larger particles, and they're glass).

Steel bearings are going to be expensive no matter how you do it, particularly if you want them rubber coated like that.

Viper GTS

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Injury
Originally posted by: Nohr
Uhh, aren't those just mouse balls?

Looks like it, but I don't think mouseballs are heavy enough to be used as weights.

What are the diameter of these things?

In the quantity it would take to fill a speaker stand they would be pretty damn heavy.

I see them for $0.60 apiece in bulk online, still looking for cheaper... Still very expensive.

Viper GTS

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Yeah, some time ago, I looked into steel shot/ball bearings. I think I found them at McMaster/Carr. It was the shipping that made buying enough of them to fill two stands a ridiculously expensive proposition. :(

I will look into the blasting bead thing. Thanks, ViperGTS.

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
Plug the bottom of the hole, fill the stands with a mixture of lead shot and epoxy/resin/plastidip/rubbercement/whatever, when it dries, you have a solid stand that is whatever weight you fill it to.