Where can I find Vernor's ginger ale in NJ?

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Inspired by the Root Beer thread. Vernor's has been my favorite ginger ale since I lived in the midwest. Can't find it here though. :( I have friends down in DC who have found it in a Giant supermarket in the ethnic foods section (???). Giant around here doesn't sell it (I don't even think it's the same chain, just the same name).

Has anyone in New Jersey ever seen this stuff?

(I know I can find it online, but it's expensive to ship)

Edit: Link: http://www.amazon.com/Vernors-Ginger-Al...3482513-7404463?ie=UTF8&s=gourmet-food

Al Neri

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2002
damn that's pricey.

What's so good about it?

BTW Mugs, I went to school in Binghamton (Upstate NY) and there was a giant supermarket there too..

apparently the 3 references (2 by you, 1 by me) are 3 separate giants..

DC = Giant Food of Landover, Maryland
Binghamton=Giant Food Markets of Broome County, New York
Midwest=Food Giant or possibly Giant Eagle

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_Food

Should break it down nicely if you even care.

Call the Manufacturer and see if they can tell you where it is distributed?

lytalbayre

Apr 28, 2005
Vernors is awesome!!! This little deli had a few cases not too long ago. I was in heaven for a while. And, for anyone that's never tried Vernors, it is definately worth while!

Nightfall

Golden Member
Nov 16, 1999
Anyone remember the days when it was just distributed in the midwest only? My cousin who lived in Oklahoma at the time, would drive to MI to visit his mom and dad once a year. When he was there, he would load up his car with as much Vernors at it could carry. It looked like he was transporting moonshine there was so much in the car.

Al Neri

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2002
btw from wikipedia:

Vernors has not historically been distributed nationally. Until the late 1980s, the drink was only distributed within a few hundred miles of Detroit, but its distribution today has expanded slightly. It has particular popularity in Michigan, western New York, Chicago, and extreme Southwestern Ontario, but can be found in a few other areas throughout the United States including Ohio, Indiana, Pennsylvania, Minnesota, West Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, North Carolina, Arizona, California, Oregon, Washington, Oklahoma, South Carolina, and Texas, where it can be found in Kroger stores. It is also sold in Virginia, Georgia, Utah, Iowa, Kansas, Nevada, Missouri, Colorado, Wisconsin, and Delaware, where it is generally found in the specialty soft-drink aisle, by the 6-pack, 12-pack, and 2-liter bottle. It can also be found in Florida's Gulf Coast, and central Florida, both of which have large populations of retired Metro Detroiters. It can also be found inPublix Grocery Stores in North Florida. Vernors has also been a popular choice of those flying Horizon Air[citation needed] as it is one of the choices on all of their flights and has recently been introduced in Anchorage, Alaska. The drink has also gained popularity in Southern Ontario in recent years.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: Don Rodriguez
damn that's pricey.

In stores it's priced the same as any soda.

What's so good about it?

Tastes good. :p It's a good "sipping" ginger ale.

BTW Mugs, I went to school in Binghamton (Upstate NY) and there was a giant supermarket there too..

apparently the 3 references (2 by you, 1 by me) are 3 separate giants..

DC = Giant Food of Landover, Maryland
Binghamton=Giant Food Markets of Broome County, New York
Midwest=Food Giant or possibly Giant Eagle

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_Food

Should break it down nicely if you even care.

Call the Manufacturer and see if they can tell you where it is distributed?

The one I was talking about is actually Giant Food of Carlisle, PA. I didn't buy it at a Giant when I lived in the midwest, I bought it at Walmart out there. :) My friends in DC bought it at Giant.

According to the Wikipedia page for Vernor's (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vernor%27s_Ginger_Ale) it's available in Western NY, Delaware and PA. Maybe I should take a road trip down to Delaware or up to Buffalo. Both of those places also have a Buffalo Wild Wings restaurant, another thing I really miss from living in Indiana. :)

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
In Ohio it's distributed by the same people who distribute 7-Up, so you might check with your local 7-Up distributor.

Vernors is one of the spiciest soft drinks I've ever had, I love it. You can definitely tell it's aged in wood barrels too.

Al Neri

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2002
now i want to try it :

Buffalo's not bad, it's just a heckuva trip.

Maybe they sell it in Syracuse, I have a cousin up there I'll ask him... Syracuse is worth the trip for Dinosaur BBQ, though they opened one up in the 100's on the West Side in Manhattan that I'm yet to try.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: Tom
In Ohio it's distributed by the same people who distribute 7-Up, so you might check with your local 7-Up distributor.

Vernors is one of the spiciest soft drinks I've ever had, I love it. You can definitely tell it's aged in wood barrels too.

Oh yeah, it does taste woody.

Al Neri

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2002
Originally posted by: mugs

that's a comment that can come back to haunt you.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: Don Rodriguez
Originally posted by: mugs

that's a comment that can come back to haunt you.

:laugh:

MedicBob

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2001
I haven't had one in a very long time. I still look for it, but haven't found any in Wisconsin around me yet.

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
I kinda know how you feel mugs, I have found one place here that sells Big Red. It was one of my favorite sodas back in Texas, but seems hard to find in the Pac-NW.