Where can I download Solaris 2.6 I386

shwigley

Jan 22, 2001
I need to learn Solaris for work. Is 2.6 and 8.0 two different flavors or is 8.0 a higher/newer version. They skipped some numbers. Don't know if it was a marketing thing. I think we use 2.5 at work. Are the i386 versions similar so I can practice a home. I have already checked the hcls and have an old pentium 75mhz that is both available and supported. How would it run on this machine? It only has 24MB of RAM and I hate to waiste money on more because EDO is so expensive.

bubba

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999

<< I need to learn Solaris for work. Is 2.6 and 8.0 two different flavors or is 8.0 a higher/newer version. They skipped some numbers. Don't know if it was a marketing thing. I think we use 2.5 at work. >>

The 8 is actually 2.8. So 2.6 and 2.8 aren't all that different. However, they are not the same either.

<< Are the i386 versions similar so I can practice a home. I have already checked the hcls and have an old pentium 75mhz that is both available and supported. How would it run on this machine? It only has 24MB of RAM and I hate to waiste money on more because EDO is so expensive. >>

Yes, the x86 versions are similar, but I would hate to see how poorly it would run on a P75 with 24MB of RAM. It seemed really slow on a PII 350 with 64 MB of RAM that I was using for testing before I ran things on production servers.

shwigley

Jan 22, 2001
Thanks for your help. It may be slow but I will still give it a try. My ASUS A7V133 is not on the HCL among other hardware in my current computer. I also don't want to mess up my Win2K install.

Only my old Gateway will work so I guess I will give it a try. Do you know any sites to download 2.6 i386. I can only find version 8. 2.6 is the only version that is on the HCL list for my old gateway.

Woodie

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2001
I think the 2.6 for x86 came with the 2.6 &quot;normal&quot; version...it was either on the same CD, or on one that came in the media kit.

--Woodie

Noriaki

Lifer
Jun 3, 2000
Solaris 8 = SunOS 2.8
Solaris 6 = SunOS 2.6

I'm not sure why they have double numbering...but they do, or what the difference between Solaris and &quot;SunOS&quot; is..
We use both at work, and they aren't drastically different if you are just trying to learn Solaris, the window managers look a tad different, but nothing drastic, and from a user perspective they are very similar. We have some software that runs on 6/2.6, but won't run on 8/2.8. But that's nothing you'd need worry about if you are just trying to learn it.

A P75 would be ok in command line only mode (which is still very useful in Unix), but with the Window Manager running Unix will require a fair bit of horsepower. But you could do it.
I'll see if I can find you a link to 6/2.6...I know some people that would know where to find it if it can be found.

Sunner

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Used to be the same before Solaris 7.

Was Solaris 2.6 before then.

Not that I've bothered to investigate it, but isnt Solaris the whole suite of stuff(OS, programs that come with it, docs, etc etc), while 2.8 refers to SunOS which is the basic OS itself.

Anyway, if its just for basic learning, you'll be fine with 8, the basics are all the same, most of the changes are stuff you wont touch until you've become more familiar with it.