Where are all the strategy games? (Death of RTS geanre)

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

simas

Oct 16, 2005
"That pretty much sums up the death of strategy games in general. Everyone keeps trying to solve the accessibility ignoring the fact that most of their loyal player base doesn't want it solved"

I think it is more in figuring out who your base truly is and what they want. look at total war games, they are better and better with each attempt. great gameplay. completely different gameplay in Mordheim Warhammer (small warbands), each has its audience and both are fun (but very different fun). I generally agree with overview given previously of various RTS games, SupCom was new and fun, the queue system was great (if I am fighting a major conflict do I really have to tell each and every solder each step?). DoW1 was good especially in campaign mode (conquer the planet). DoW2 was boring micromanagement and very small scale. DoW3, I was considering but looking at gameplay I will probably pass. where is careful resource management? where is smart base building?