Where are all the major OEM's PCs with AMD Ryzen processors?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I was thinking more like a properly filtered configurator so forum users (and maybe even general anandtech browsers) could downselect a configuration that forum users know works based on their own experience (and with I suppose some notes on stability, performance using a consistent selection of opensauce/freeware benchmarks, power consumption etc).

While it would be nice to be able to filter through successful builds of forum members, you probably won't find anyone willing to go through all the trouble of collecting and parsing that data.

If you want to see successful builds, the best thread is probably the Ryzen OC thread:

https://forums.anandtech.com/thread...ust-oc-results-and-hardware-settings.2501827/

Only 10 pages long, with lots of builds + results posted therein.

If you are seriously looking for the cheapest Ryzen R7 build that will definitely work, try R7 1700 + ASRock B350 Pro4 + either DDR4-3200 CAS/CL14 or basically any DDR4-3600 on the market. So option #1:

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/memory/#s=403200&L=0,140&sort=price&page=1

option #2:

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/memory/#s=403600&sort=price&qq=1

When picking the 3200 option, make sure it's 14s across the board. With 3600 it doesn't matter since it's all b-die no matter what. There are some 3466 kits that are b-die but you have to shop carefully, and of course CAS/CL 15 and 16 kits of 3200 may not be b-die at all . . .

Oh and if you want 32GB of RAM, you CAN get away with this:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233894&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker, LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

though most would point you towards the CAS/CL 14 Trident Z instead. But any Corsair DDR4 that says "ver 4.31" on the back is b-die.

Reactions: Drazick

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
OEMs will be able to market true SFF $400 systems that can authentically game at 1080p at decent settings. I think that will be a mini revolution on its own.

I really hope so, for AMD's sake. Better than a SteamBox! A Ryzen APU!

swilli89

Golden Member
Mar 23, 2010
I really hope so, for AMD's sake. Better than a SteamBox! A Ryzen APU!
Or rather Steamboxes would be wise to incorporate at Ryzen APU. I mean.. this has been the "fusion" dream all along right? True enthusiast level performance from an APU. AMD has had the graphical prowess for a while now, ever since 28nm to put a decent amount of graphics horsepower onto an APU. Now finally we will have the CPU side too.

SpaceBeer

Apr 2, 2016
Yeah, I remeber Kaveri reviews with Libreoffice Calc and other HSA/GPGPU tests. I was happy to see my A10-7850K + LO Calc combo is actually faster than i5-4440 + MS Excel. Also some Blender tests I've done. I thought - at this moment, not so many programs have GPU acceleration support, but it'll change soon. If opensource programs like LO or Blender have implemented that, it's a matter of months, a year at most, until big players like Microsoft, Corel, Adobe... have fully implemented openCL (or whatever else) in their software.

Three years later (after Kaveri release, 6 years after first AMD Fusion CPU, 10 years since GPGPU initiative started), nothing changed (significantly). MS still didn't implement openCL acceleration (though there is 3rd party solution), Corel only in AfterShot, not in Paintshop Pro, Adobe is ok, but not as good as Cuda support. Who knows when will GIMP have GPGPU implemented, bulit-in renderers in CAD software (Inventor, NX, Solidworks...) are CPU-only (multi-threaded luckily, though SW now supports radeon prorenderer plugin), and even Autocad performance still depends mostly on CPUs single-thread performance.

Overall (CPU+IGP) performance of A10 was/is quite good for my needs. But I'm glad my next CPU purchase will be Ryzen. No IGP, no HSA, no GPGPU, no SFF builds, no mobile ULV CPUs... only pure CPU performance with enough threads for computing, rendering, VMs... Maybe in 2025 things will be different :) The only APU I would buy, would be mobile, but >30W TDP, 4c/8t with 10+ GPU CUs and PRO certification (like A300 FirePro series), in case such notebook existed and I need to use one.

Last edited:

Tsavo

Platinum Member
Sep 29, 2009
It's weird they didn't put a GPU on die. Maybe they need to buy a gfx company or something.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
It's weird they didn't put a GPU on die. Maybe they need to buy a gfx company or something.

It's a server and workstation CPU. They left out the IGP for the same reason that Intel doesn't put one on its 8 core chips, because it's wasted silicon for those workloads.

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
Markfw900 said:
The biggest problem is not using memory that is on the motherboard MFG's accepted list, or (only for the first month) bad bios. Every new platform Intel or AMD needs at least a month tow work out the bugs. This one was fairly quickly worked out.

As far as OEM's, the topic here, An 8 core processor is not mainstream, and for quad cores, an integrated video is common nowadays, so its more of a enthusiast chip at this time I think.

This is far and away the most obvious and real answer. Beige boxes simply can't just throw in a video card for simple video output. Same with laptops. Raven Ridge will be the OEM spearhead that AMD will deploy. That is the chip that will be targeted at the Inspirons and Latitudes of the world.

OEMs will be able to market true SFF $400 systems that can authentically game at 1080p at decent settings. I think that will be a mini revolution on its own.

If my R7 250X is any indication Raven Ridge APU will not be able to game at 1080p at decent settings. (Some games definitely yes, but not the most modern ones)

It would probably do a pretty good job at 1366 x 768 though.

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
The only APU I would buy, would be mobile, but >30W TDP, 4c/8t with 10+ GPU CUs and PRO certification (like A300 FirePro series), in case such notebook existed and I need to use one.

+1.... but I wouldn't need the PRO certification.

(The only exception I would make outside of a laptop would be a 35W BGA APU used as a fanless desktop)

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
It's a server and workstation CPU. They left out the IGP for the same reason that Intel doesn't put one on its 8 core chips, because it's wasted silicon for those workloads.

I think your sarcasm detector needs a tune-up :)

GoNavy1776

Jul 7, 2017
Im new to the forums here but I see a lot of Necro threads all over the place. I have to be very careful to read time stamps.

Anyways Dell is launching Alienware Threadripper on 27 July I think and most of the OEMs are waiting on PAY and Mobile Zen to go live and there will be tins of options I gaurantee based on the huge gravity that Zen has caused with the high sales and performance of this new Intel threat. Competition smells sweet.