Where are all the major OEM's PCs with AMD Ryzen processors?

Mockingbird

Feb 12, 2017
Has anyone seen any major OEM's PCs with AMD Ryzen processors?

When I said major OEMs, I mean: Lenovo, HP, Dell, Asus, Acer and the like.

Mockingbird

Feb 12, 2017
I think the new Zen platform has too many issues at the moment.

Obviously, the general consumers are not technical enough to be able to tinker with the PCs to get them working just right.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
I think the new Zen platform has too many issues at the moment.

Obviously, the general consumers are not technical enough to be able to tinker with the PCs to get them working just right.
Given the threads here, that would be my first guess. Not ready for prime time yet.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Ryzen is pretty solid if you're willing to run DDR4-2133 and the CPU at stock settings only. Anything beyond that and things get funky until you learn what you are doing.

I would think board availability would be the #1 reason why we haven't seen OEMs selling these things, assuming they don't have some supply of generic B350 boards availabile to them.

Reactions: iwulff and Agent-47

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Major OEMs take a long time to test and build their solutions as they need to be sold and supported for years. There's a lot of validation to go through for hardware, drivers and software.

Didn't take them that long to validate Kabylake for desktops though, did it? Granted people had Kabylake chips in their hands for awhile before launch. Ryzen was more secretive.

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
No igp means increasing costs. And to make things worse AMD is coming really late with RX550.

Mockingbird

Feb 12, 2017

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
I wonder if Apple is planning on switching to AMD for their CPUs in their desktop products. They haven't refreshed those in a long time and did talk about them recently. An 8C/16T Ryzen would make a pretty awesome iMac and at 65W is in Apple's power budget for their desktops and could probably get them for less as well since it would be a big design win for AMD, especially if Apple gave them stage time at one of their conferences.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
Has anyone seen any major OEM's PCs with AMD Ryzen processors?

When I said major OEMs, I mean: Lenovo, HP, Dell, Asus, Acer and the like.

Honestly probably X390 or X399 or whatever it is plus Raven Ridge.

A real workstation CPU needs a workstation platform which X370 is not. On the reverse end they need a scalable solution for Ryzen, without an APU on the low to mid level they have to include a card. Once it gets to the higher end "R5 and R7" you can require a GPU to be added. As it is they can't do a workstation yet and an R7/R5 system will have to high of introductory cost to make developing a system for it worth it.

Malogeek

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2017
yaktribe.org
Didn't take them that long to validate Kabylake for desktops though, did it? Granted people had Kabylake chips in their hands for awhile before launch. Ryzen was more secretive.
Not really much of a new platform and I'm sure vendors like Dell and HP had all the hardware and necessary information waaaaay before launch. That definitely didn't happen with Ryzen.

Reactions: Space Tyrant

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Int€l'$ kickback program working well... :D

Better check them financials!!!1!!11!!!

Not really much of a new platform and I'm sure vendors like Dell and HP had all the hardware and necessary information waaaaay before launch. That definitely didn't happen with Ryzen.

That's mostly what I was thinking. AMD kept respinning the chip late in the cycle, and the board changes they were making late as well . . .

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Likely lack of entry level Graphics(APU or Lowest tier card), but also in the process of validation.

Mockingbird

Feb 12, 2017
Honestly probably X390 or X399 or whatever it is plus Raven Ridge.

A real workstation CPU needs a workstation platform which X370 is not. On the reverse end they need a scalable solution for Ryzen, without an APU on the low to mid level they have to include a card. Once it gets to the higher end "R5 and R7" you can require a GPU to be added. As it is they can't do a workstation yet and an R7/R5 system will have to high of introductory cost to make developing a system for it worth it.

Actually, the current 8-cores AMD Ryzen 7 processors look like they fit right into Dell XPS and HP OMEN lineup.

Eric1987

Mar 22, 2012
Ryzen is pretty solid if you're willing to run DDR4-2133 and the CPU at stock settings only. Anything beyond that and things get funky until you learn what you are doing.

I would think board availability would be the #1 reason why we haven't seen OEMs selling these things, assuming they don't have some supply of generic B350 boards availabile to them.

How so? Besides RAM everything is as it should be. Actually overclocking on this ryzen has been easy as fuck. I literally put it to 3.8GHz at 1.35 and its rock solid. No issues what so ever.

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
When Ryzen can come into laptops, OEM's will care. Then they will start putting in spare laptop APU's into desktops.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
Actually, the current 8-cores AMD Ryzen 7 processors look like they fit right into Dell XPS and HP OMEN lineup.

I don't know how much part sharing is going on but the mobo in theory could be used for other Inspiron's, Vostro's, and even Optiplex's.

You have to look at it from Dell's perspective, they can offer all the different choices, by basically having one basic platform to fall on. To include Ryzen right now would mean a single CPU list for maybe two different variations systems that would start with costing more than the introductory cost of a I3/I5/ and even i7, by not having graphics built in.

My guess is if you are going to go through all of the qualification steps you want a range that you can move the CPU's around so you can buy in higher bulk and not fear to much unsold stock. One of the XPS's with a Ryzen APU and all of a sudden you have AMD undercutting intel in pricing and then having the range all the way to near workstation in an R7. In Optiplex's not having an iGPU is going to suck and not much value difference choosing between an i5 and r5.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
How so? Besides RAM everything is as it should be. Actually overclocking on this ryzen has been easy as fuck. I literally put it to 3.8GHz at 1.35 and its rock solid. No issues what so ever.

RAM OC is "the" thing to do on Ryzen right now. Run @ DDR4-2133 and your performance may be like in some of those iffy launch-day benchmarks that have since been mostly retracted/debunked.

Ryzen really needed better RAM compatibility out of the gate for speeds up to DDR4-2666 as a default, but hey, JEDEC standards being what they are . . .