Whenever the news posts about "White People With Guns" its usually scary or weird or monstrously stupid.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
No, it's accurate. All of the homeowner's land is private property, even the sidewalk. It's not a city or public sidewalk. It's part of their yard.

That's ridiculous. There's no way to tell where the property line is between the homeowner & the association governing the private neighborhood. They're just crazy people out to make a statement rather than in fear of their safety.

Reactions: Pohemi

dphantom

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2005
I see that it works by you making shit up. No where did I try to excuse the protesters with an implied false '2 wrongs make a right' illogic like you and Brandon did here. In fact, my comment was quite specifically targeted against such an argument. But it's not a surprise that you would try to project your error on me.

And BTW, here in America, we let peaceful protesters protest peacefully, even when we disagree with them. While refusing to allow that exercise of free speech through violence or intimidation, as this brandishing couple did here, is the actual mob mentality.

Edit: BTW, I think it's funny that you're so concerned about letting the justice system decide if the couple brandishing weapons at unarmed protesters is guilty or not, while you've already convicted the protesters of trespassing in your head. All while warning me of a mob mentality. Just fucking hilarious except for the fact that this glaring hypocrisy is absolutely typical of Trumpers.
not on private property

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
No, it's accurate. All of the homeowner's land is private property, even the sidewalk. It's not a city or public sidewalk. It's part of their yard.
That's not accurate. It is a private street and sidewalk but it's not the individual homeowner's private street and sidewalk. It belongs to the homeowners association. It is not part of their yard.

dphantom

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2005
Google maps shows that Portland Place is indeed a private street and marked as such. However, the McCloskey's claims that protesters damaged the gates or did anything to justify their response appear to be wildly exaggerated by all accounts, to say the least.
doesnt matter. these so called protesters were on private property

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
That's not accurate. It is a private street and sidewalk but it's not the individual homeowner's private street and sidewalk. It belongs to the homeowners association. It is not part of their yard.

They're not scared, anyway. They're mad about the invasion of their privilege.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
doesnt matter. these so called protesters were on private property
It matters because the homeowners were not defending their private property while they were recklessly brandishing at unarmed persons.
I've already made it clear here that the trespassing was unacceptable. The discussion is about the legality of the homeowners' response. Try to keep up.

Reactions: Aegeon

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
During the protests in Virginia when the looked the capital down, there were a few pictures of some people of color there.

I am not sure that has happened either, but I would think the fear of death (from police or anyone) would make them more rational than these privileged morons who think they can threaten a group peacefully protesting and walking through their “gated” community. Like money buys you respect and a weapon means folks should cower to you. Seems they have a control problem along with liking to show how powerful they are because they have “status.” These folks are pitiful.
The couple didn't appear to be scared.
they're facing down a group of unarmed people with an AR-15. They have little reason to be scared.

American white conservatives keep their balls in a STANAG magazine.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
they're facing down a group of unarmed people with an AR-15. They have little reason to be scared.

American white conservatives keep their balls in a STANAG magazine.

The after the fact justifications are absurd, something that only a sleazy lawyer could come up with- "They were armed, so I grabbed my gun to go out & confront them!" As if that makes any sense at all. It's pure Hollywood. Conservatards love it.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
The after the fact justifications are absurd, something that only a sleazy lawyer could come up with- "They were armed, so I grabbed my gun to go out & confront them!" As if that makes any sense at all. It's pure Hollywood. Conservatards love it.
Ironic as they're always ranting about Hollywood.

• Haha

DaaQ

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2018
From OP's article. Sounds like they were the homeowners in the video. I wonder how the cops handled the incident. Any charges?
Did they ever get to Krewson's house? The homeowners were obviously aggressively threatening the protesters with weapons. IMO the homeowners should have called the cops and stayed inside taking videos if they were worried about what the protesters would do. According to this and other articles this gated community was on private property so the streets and sidewalks are not public. I would also like to see all of the videos capturing this whole incident. Here's a video below when the protesters went through the gate and began interacting with the homeowners.

From...

Can clearly see gate was not damaged according to your last picture in my reply.

And peacefully breaking down a gate.

See first video from Lanyap, clearly gate was not "destroyed"
Watch closely it's right at the beginning. Looked unlocked to me.

The multiple eyewitnesses appear to be wrong. I don’t agree with the homeowners brandishing guns. How are the homeowners supposed to know these were peaceful protesters or what their intent was? Several hundred people are breaking down their community gate and going through their yard.

Ebr3LaAWsAIJq0H
Is this picture of the same gate from your first embedded video link??
Serious question.
So since it is private property, they have their own "Police Force" or some sort of security correct? Or do the tax payers of the town just pay for their roads and upkeep but are not allowed on them unless they are able to "buy in"?

Edit:
Additional thoughts, how are people to protest from point A to point B "Mayor's House" without access?

dphantom

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2005
It matters because the homeowners were not defending their private property while they were recklessly brandishing at unarmed persons.
I've already made it clear here that the trespassing was unacceptable. The discussion is about the legality of the homeowners' response. Try to keep up.

i think the rioters were trespassing on private property.

Grey_Beard

Golden Member
Sep 23, 2014

No, even private roads have throughway access. You cannot be ticketed for walking on a private road. If access is to be limited, the owners have to secure the property and sign it appropriately. With out that, the streets or roads are accessible. They were walking by. Not sure that constitutes trespassing.

dphantom

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2005
No, even private roads have throughway access. You cannot be ticketed for walking on a private road. If access is to be limited, the owners have to secure the property and sign it appropriately. With out that, the streets or roads are accessible. They were walking by. Not sure that constitutes trespassing.
its gated at drive and walk entrances and does not have thru way access

Portland Place and Westmoreland Place if u want to check the googler

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
"Look, honey! The protesters got thru the gate & they're headed for the Mayor's house!"

Do you realize it's not about you, or do you get your guns & make it about you?

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
I think two wrongs don't make a right.

BTW, do you know what the difference is between free countries and tyrannies? In free countries, protesters aren't labeled as rioters or terrorists or whatever by the ruling party, and specifically not with the intent to take extra judicial violent action. But we fully understand which side you are on in that political equation.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Meghan54 and Pohemi

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Heh, I started writing a response and it disappeared. I've been watching videos and reading various articles. Too many things are not adding up here.

The entrance to the gated community has two pedestrian gates on either side of the main vehicle gate. Here are the pics from a tweeter. You have to drill down a few links to get to the full pictures. The pic of the broken gate was provided by the homeowner based on the credits in other articles. I cannot find any videos showing any of the gates actively be broken by the protesters. That leaves the question of whether the protesters broke the gate or did the homeowner break it afterwards to support his response.

According to several articles the protesters could not have gotten to the mayor's house using this route. I can't find any videos showing what the protesters did after the homeowner incident. Did they leave after the incident. Did they walk down the street and then turnaround and leave when they realized they could not get to the mayor's house? Why didn't the wife take videos of the protesters while her husband brandished his weapon.

I concede that the protesters were not on the homeowners property based on the videos available.

I still believe the homeowners overreacted by brandishing their guns.

Chris Cuomo interviewed MCcloskey with his attorney last nght. It didn't go too well. His attorney is goofy. He needs a new one.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
This couple is a piece of work.

Rumor is they are moving down to Clay county FL.

• Wow