Whenever the news posts about "White People With Guns" its usually scary or weird or monstrously stupid.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
It does not. BTW, the road they were on was not “private” property. Nothing on the gate stated so. They had more options than just brandishing their weapons and screaming at people. They could have called the authorities. This is not a protesting issue, it’s a white privilege issue.

I have to admit though, that is one fugly house. I have seen more stylish courthouses.
Google maps shows that Portland Place is indeed a private street and marked as such. However, the McCloskey's claims that protesters damaged the gates or did anything to justify their response appear to be wildly exaggerated by all accounts, to say the least.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
The Second Amendment "Trumps" the First Amendment for him every time.

Trump puts up tweets like this to rally his base, and once that’s done then he deletes them and claims to be ignorant of any racist, violent or xenophobic content.

Grey_Beard

Golden Member
Sep 23, 2014
Google maps shows that Portland Place is indeed a private street and marked as such. However, the McCloskey's claims that protesters damaged the gates or did anything to justify their response appear to be wildly exaggerated by all accounts, to say the least.

Regardless, there should have been signage. Nothing say wealthy neighborhood like them being too cheap to put up signage to let people know this is private property.

Missouri
Missouri statute Mo. Rev. Stat. § 569.140, says that trespassing occurs when “property is fenced or otherwise enclosed in a manner designed to exclude intruders or as to which notice against trespass is given…”

The notice must be given through actual communication to the actor or posting in a manner that is reasonably likely to come to the attention of intruders.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Regardless, there should have been signage. Nothing say wealthy neighborhood like them being too cheap to put up signage to let people know this is private property.

Missouri
Missouri statute Mo. Rev. Stat. § 569.140, says that trespassing occurs when “property is fenced or otherwise enclosed in a manner designed to exclude intruders or as to which notice against trespass is given…”

The notice must be given through actual communication to the actor or posting in a manner that is reasonably likely to come to the attention of intruders.

According to the police report there were 'No Trespassing' and 'Private Street' signs on the iron gate. The protesters destroyed the iron gate. According to this article several hundred protesters came through the broken gate and walked on the homeowners private property.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
If you wonder how so many Americans shoot themselves or family members with their own guns watching those two incompetently brandish is really illustrative.

• Love
Reactions: Pohemi

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I see that it works by you making shit up. No where did I try to excuse the protesters with an implied false '2 wrongs make a right' illogic like you and Brandon did here. In fact, my comment was quite specifically targeted against such an argument. But it's not a surprise that you would try to project your error on me.

And BTW, here in America, we let peaceful protesters protest peacefully, even when we disagree with them. While refusing to allow that exercise of free speech through violence or intimidation, as this brandishing couple did here, is the actual mob mentality.

Edit: BTW, I think it's funny that you're so concerned about letting the justice system decide if the couple brandishing weapons at unarmed protesters is guilty or not, while you've already convicted the protesters of trespassing in your head. All while warning me of a mob mentality. Just fucking hilarious except for the fact that this glaring hypocrisy is absolutely typical of Trumpers.

The couple is giving nonsensical interviews, now. "We wuz skeered so we grabbed our guns & ran out front to pertekt ourselves!" Riiigght... Scared people might load their guns, but they'd stay inside & be on the phone with 911...

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
According to the police report there were 'No Trespassing' and 'Private Street' signs on the iron gate. The protesters destroyed the iron gate. According to this article several hundred protesters came through the broken gate and walked on the homeowners private property.

So what? That couple is crazy as fuck and Trump retweeting the vid just encourages more irrationality. And the fucking Mayor is a total sleazeball.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Also TIL you can buy a near mint condition gilded age mansion in STL for the cost of a tear down in SF that they had to remove a corpse from.

• Haha

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

Multiple eyewitness accounts say the gate was already open and was not destroyed. While there was nothing in any of the videos I've seen that would lead any reasonable person to believe that the couple had any legitimate reason to fear for their lives. Quite the opposite, they were quite obviously escalating the confrontation.
Trespassing is a crime, but our first response to it shouldn't be vigilante justice. Or to intimidate protesters because you disagree with their speech.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Multiple eyewitness accounts say the gate was already open and was not destroyed. While there was nothing in any of the videos I've seen that would lead any reasonable person to believe that the couple had any legitimate reason to fear for their lives. Quite the opposite, they were quite obviously escalating the confrontation.
Trespassing is a crime, but our first response to it shouldn't be vigilante justice. Or to intimidate protesters because you disagree with their speech.

The multiple eyewitnesses appear to be wrong. I don’t agree with the homeowners brandishing guns. How are the homeowners supposed to know these were peaceful protesters or what their intent was? Several hundred people are breaking down their community gate and going through their yard.

Ebr3LaAWsAIJq0H

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
The multiple eyewitnesses appear to be wrong. I don’t agree with the homeowners brandishing guns. How are the homeowners supposed to know these were peaceful protesters or what their intent was? Several hundred people are breaking down their community gate and going through their yard.

Ebr3LaAWsAIJq0H

Damaging the gate was unacceptable but the homeowners' response was certainly disproportionate as well. The videos make that abundantly clear. And speaking as someone who does own guns, they need some serious education on how to properly and legally use theirs.
It should also be kept in mind that the police drove the protesters to this route by blocking all other paths to the mayor's house. If they had been allowed their intended protest on public streets, this would not have happened.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Ebr3LaAWsAIJq0H

Meanwhile, the whackolas are being portrayed as heroes of Trumpism-

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
So what? That couple is crazy as fuck and Trump retweeting the vid just encourages more irrationality. And the fucking Mayor is a total sleazeball.

I was responding to Grey_Beard who said there were no signs. I agree with the other points and the homeowners should not have brandished guns.

Reactions: Vic

abj13

Golden Member
Jan 27, 2005

Multiple eyewitnesses appear to be wrong? Based on what? That gate was clearly not smashed when the protesters entered, in fact protesters were holding the gate open when the confrontation started.

See this video at the 27:50 mark.

Claiming the couple was under threat because the gate was being broken down or was already smashed in doesn't fit with the timeline of events.

Reactions: DaaQ

Grey_Beard

Golden Member
Sep 23, 2014
I was responding to Grey_Beard who said there were no signs. I agree with the other points and the homeowners should not have brandished guns.

I saw a picture earlier that did not show a No Trespass sign. It said Private Drive. It was a picture of the gate before it was broken. Cannot find it now. Did not say a Private Property. No warnings.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Damaging the gate was unacceptable but the homeowners' response was certainly disproportionate as well. The videos make that abundantly clear. And speaking as someone who does own guns, they need some serious education on how to properly and legally use theirs.

Agreed.

It should also be kept in mind that the police drove the protesters to this route by blocking all other paths to the mayor's house. If they had been allowed their intended protest on public streets, this would not have happened.

I have not heard that. Why would the police do that? Why weren’t they at that location when this incident occurred. We have some pieces missing.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Multiple eyewitnesses appear to be wrong? Based on what? That gate was clearly not smashed when the protesters entered, in fact protesters were holding the gate open when the confrontation started.

See this video at the 27:50 mark.

Claiming the couple was under threat because the gate was being broken down or was already smashed in doesn't fit with the timeline of events.

Jumbled timelines are a feature of right wing propaganda.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Agreed.

I have not heard that. Why would the police do that? Why weren’t they at that location when this incident occurred. We have some pieces missing.
Turns out the McCloskeys are Trump donors. Shocking. I'm calling planned publicity stunt.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Turns out the McCloskeys are Trump donors. Shocking. I'm calling planned publicity stunt.
Of course usual Republicans. Gut social spending, grab all the money for themselves, move to a gated community and pretend everything is fine. And if the real world comes marching by, grab a gun.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
And "through their yard" is a dishonest characterization.

No, it's accurate. All of the homeowner's land is private property, even the sidewalk. It's not a city or public sidewalk. It's part of their yard.