When you were learning to drive...

xirtam

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2001
...did your parents make you practice driving habits they don't have? Mine sure did. I started driving like my mom drives and got yelled at. This was about four years ago, but I still remember the irony of it like it was yesterday.

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
no, i tried to always drive like i was going to have to for the test. then after i took the test, it all went down hill.

Jan 9, 2002
I'll occasionally take the wheel of our Yukon XL on family trips when I go home from college (re: Christmas, etc), and my Dad will get ALL OVER me about keeping both hands on the steering wheel, not going more than 1mph over the speed limit, tailgating, checking my mirrors/blindspots before changing lanes to pass on the Interstate... he's a really safe driver, but usually drives with one index finger holding the bottom of the steering wheel at 5-8mph over the limit, no turn signals when changing lanes, etc etc... :disgust:

And don't even think about passing people on two-lane roads when he's riding shotgun! Ugh, yes I know what you're talking about. Drives me nuts.

PsychoAndy

Lifer
Dec 31, 2000
Irony: Your dad yells at you to make a complete, and not rolling stop. A year and a half later, the roles are inverted.

Yes, parents hold us young'ns to a higher standard. Why? Because they dont want their insurance premiums to go up on their watch.

-PAB

xirtam

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2001
I agree with that, Andy. And it makes sense. But I still subscribe to the idea that the best way to teach is by example.

Yeah, NightFlyer, I remember when I came home from college, not *only* did I get the 2-hands-on-the-wheel speech, I got the 10-and-2-position speech.

Of course, both my parents drive single-handedly, so to speak.

gogeeta13

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2000
I got the " Don't hit anybody and don't get your license taken away speech "

I got a perfect on the test, and with the exception of a ticket for parking a fire lane for 2 minutes, no tickets. It's all about speedign smart..

going over hills in right lane, knowing where cops will be and where they wont, etc

ethicalsangel

Jul 10, 2002
My mother complains about my driving too fast all the time. Even though she drives 20 miles over the speed limit on the road she lives on. Not that she has any cops to worry about in Hickville, USA, but still... isn't that a bit hypocritical of them when they make comments about how you drive. Not that I am complaining about the way she taught me how to drive, she made the drivers instructor seem like Santa Clause when I went to take my test. All I have to say is thanks mom.

Balthazar

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2000
Originally posted by: pyonir
no, i tried to always drive like i was going to have to for the test. then after i took the test, it all went down hill.

Hahahaha, love that.

My parents didn't teach me to drive (big suprise huh, well, probably is to you.) so I don't really have any input on this topic. However I can saythat most everyone I know trusts me with their vehicle no problem, and I have never had a ticket nor an accident, so maybe learning on your own is the way to go? No BS pressure....just you and the car.

yakko

Lifer
Apr 18, 2000
My mom didn't teach me to drive and when I go somewhere with her I don't let her drive.