When you talk to someone on the phone for the first time..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syringer

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
If you just talked to someone on the phone in the morning--would it be appropriate to email them later saying "it was nice meeting you this morning"?

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
no. "it was nice to talk with you." or something.

I haven't met 75% of my department coworkers, but I talk with them all (except the overnight Hong Kong guys) nearly every day.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: loki8481

I haven't met 75% of my department coworkers, but I talk with them all (except the overnight Hong Kong guys) nearly every day.

this.

why can't you just say, "it was nice talking to you this morning"

?

it's fine, and very appropriate.

S

SlitheryDee

I wouldn't think so. You spoke to them, nothing more.

On a related note:

When you've met someone for the first time, can you really say that you "know" them? People say that all the time, but actually knowing enough about a person to use the blanket term "know them" seems like it should take more time and effort. You wouldn't look at a math book on a shelf and then think that you "knew" Calculus would you? (assuming you don't already know Calculus)

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: SlitheryDee

When you've met someone for the first time, can you really say that you "know" them?

it's kind of a limitation of the english language, but yes. you could technically say that you "know" that calculus book.

I remember when I was studying french, there were multiple "to know" verbs so that you could differentiate between know as in "I'm aware of its existence" versus a deeper knowledge.

Syringer

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Originally posted by: moshquerade
Originally posted by: loki8481

this.

why can't you just say, "it was nice talking to you this morning"

?

it's fine, and very appropriate.

:thumbsup:

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Nope...you didn't "meet" them, you spoke to them on the phone.

IMO, BIG difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.