When you get a haircut, what instructions do you give the guy who's clipping your hair?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Oct 4, 2004
Originally posted by: DivideBYZero
Originally posted by: theprodigalrebel
Nothing, actually. I sit there and he gives me the usual. After he's done he says, "Is this all right?" and I just nod without checking.

Do you ever get your haircut afterward?

Nah, I'm always satisfied with the results. But then again, my hair 'style' is pretty simple and hard to mess up.

Toonces

Golden Member
Feb 5, 2000
Nothing, actually. I sit there and he gives me the usual. After he's done he says, "Is this all right?" and I just nod without checking.

Nah, I'm always satisfied with the results. But then again, my hair 'style' is pretty simple and hard to mess up.

*whoosh*

right over the head ;)

Oct 4, 2004
Originally posted by: swtethan
my girl wants to cut my hair, should i let her do it?

Sure. If she's good, you can enjoy future haircuts in the comfort of her lap.
If she's not, you can always go for damage-control (Fernando, she break, you fix!) and politely tell her you'd like to stick to your barber.

My mom cut my Dad's hair once - it was also the last time.

Dec 10, 2005
Regular haircut (#6 on the sides and back if they want to know and shorter on the top/front, but not too short).

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
3 on the sides, 4 on top.

What's cool is that new Great Clips hair place...they record your last cut in a database, so they always know what you want :)

fallenangel99

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2001
1.5 on the sides and back. About half an inch off the top. I go to a mom and pop barbershop. I hate going to the damn mall.. they shampoo my hair and do all sorts of wierd things.

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
I've been telling the girls "I need a lot of texture on the top, take the sides in, blend it in the back." Then they tell me how they think they'll do that, I say ok, then they give my head a massage as they wash my hair. $30 well spent.

Nutdotnet

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2000
I usually will get something different each time I go in...just to change things up a bit.

BrownTown

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2005
I just say "make it shorter", and since I go to the cheapest place I can find that about all they probably know how to do anyways.

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
Short on the sides and back, short on the top, but 1" on the front due to my high forehead.

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
Originally posted by: George P Burdell
Do you just say "use a 3 on the sides, 7 on top", or "gimme a businessman's cut" or are you more specific? Do you take photos of haircuts and show them to the guy?

Aside: have you ever pulled a britney? (walked into a barbershop/hair salon and asked them to take it all off).

Hello, buzz cut, #2, all over.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I pulled a Britney... I had cause, though. I used to have really long hair (down to my shoulders, and my hair is curly, so it was a bit longer when wet or if I straightened it). I kept my hair dyed bleach blond (my natural color is light brown, so not a huge jump). one day, I decide I want red highlights in my blond hair. so I get a friend to highlight my hair (this is the same person who had been dying my hair for like 3 years at that point).

turned out horribly. I ended up with like orange roots and blond everywhere else. it looked bad to the point where I was embarassed to be seen in public, so we decided just to dye my hair back to the blond that it was before we tried highlights. I don't know if it was too much too soon or what, but in the ensuing dye job back to blond, I lost a pretty big swath of hair :( so I went to a barber the next day and had them shave it all off.

the hair never really grew back in (it did, but it's like abnormally thin) so I've pretty much kept my head shaved since then, except in the winter when I can get away with wearing a hat. I go to the same place... I just ask them to shave it with the #2 razor guard. $14; I usually just give the girl a 20 and tell her to keep the change.

TheGizmo

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2000
i tell them what i want, then fall asleep until someone wakes me up and tells me its done. only time this backfired on me was when i asked for trim, and somehow the lady either thought i said bowl cut or just decided to give me one since i fell asleep... whatever the reason i wasnt very happy so i just had her give me a crew cut :-/ much shorter than what i wanted in the end.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Originally posted by: Don Rodriguez
take either .5 or 1" off the top

skin taper on the sides

12 bucks + 8 tip = treats me well

66% tip? is this normal at hair cutter? WTF??

I say "cut my hair. make it short" (I go about once every 3 months)

Plus, I get a lady to cut my hair. Don't know why...just always had ladies cut my hair. Dudes tend to want to put crap in afterwards, like gel.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

"the usual" :D

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
#2 on the sides and back, #7 on top, blend it all in, round the back, take the sideburns off.