Golden Member
Sep 4, 2003
1. Roxio
2. burn a medium speed (8x-12x) just me i guess
3. No, i don't have a dual core cpu... :(

zylander

Platinum Member
Aug 25, 2002
Nero, fastest, yes ( I dont have a dual core cpu either)

Why would you burn at a speed slower than maximum?

Mrvile

Lifer
Oct 16, 2004
Alright...so using the computer won't mess up the CD?

I'm asking because I just burned a bunch of CD's and I'm having some skipping problems with a few of them (haven't listened to all of them yet so I don't know how many are bad). I burned with WMP on fast setting (fastest is highest), and I did use the computer while I burned them. I'm using a home DVD player to play them so I know it's not that...and I doubt it's WMP. I just burned a CD at fastest and so far it sounds fine, maybe it just needs to be set to fastest for some reason or the other.

Dang this sucks...I burned quite a few CD's last night, I wouldn't want to have to reburn them all over again.

EDIT: Nevermind, it just skipped. What the hell is going on...

MrChad

Lifer
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Mrvile
Alright...so using the computer won't mess up the CD?

I'm asking because I just burned a bunch of CD's and I'm having some skipping problems with a few of them (haven't listened to all of them yet so I don't know how many are bad). I burned with WMP on fast setting (fastest is highest), and I did use the computer while I burned them. I'm using a home DVD player to play them so I know it's not that...and I doubt it's WMP. I just burned a CD at fastest and so far it sounds fine, maybe it just needs to be set to fastest for some reason or the other.

Dang this sucks...I burned quite a few CD's last night, I wouldn't want to have to reburn them all over again.

EDIT: Nevermind, it just skipped. What the hell is going on...

A lot of it depends on the media and the player you are using. My Yamaha CRW-F1 burner has a special audio burning setting that lowers the burn speed a bit but works flawlessly in almost any CD player.

Zolty

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
Back in the day when computers were slower it was recommended that you not use the computer while burning, this was because the drive needs a continuous stream of data in order to burn properly. Modern computers max out the buffer with no difficulties, in other words

Nero, fastest, Yes

and the only thing I have changed in my computer for the past 4 years are monitors and hard drives.

BZeto

Platinum Member
Apr 28, 2002
Originally posted by: lobbyone
2. burn a medium speed (8x-12x) just me i guess

Same here. Used to end up with lots of coasters trying to do max speed with my old Creative 4x4x32. That probly wouldnt happen with my current pc but I can deal with it taking 2 extra minutes for my disc to finish.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Nero
The slowest speed I am willing to wait for
I'll use the computer lightly while burning

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006
Nero;
Fastest;
No - I think just out of habit from when it was not recommended.

MotionMan

dbk

Lifer
Apr 23, 2004
I hardly burn music to CD since I got my iPod (couple years back) but I used Nero on the fastest speed, and did not use the PC.

JBT

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Nero
somewhere in the middle
Yes

For DVD's I don't ussually use the PC though

randomlinh

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
linh.wordpress.com
itunes, 16x, yes.

why not fastest? I still have to drop to 8X on some media/player combos to get them working. Ok, not anymore since I don't have that head unit anymore... but 16x is fine with me. It's still a very problematic issue with DVDs though