When will we have a new driver from AMD? *drivers released today*

Discussion in 'Video Cards and Graphics' started by SickBeast, Jun 27, 2012.

1. SickBeast

SickBeast Lifer

The 12.4s are still the latest and they came out in April. I'm getting impatient. There are tons of major issues that they need to work out. So far the betas have done nothing to fix them in spite of AMD's claims otherwise.

I really hope they will bring out a solid and stable driver within the next month or so. I'm tired of the crashes, hangs, and "display driver stopped responding" messages.

I will not be going with AMD for my next card no matter how cheap it is.

#1 SickBeast, Jun 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  2. lavaheadache

lavaheadache Diamond Member

the 12.7 beta is pretty awesome.

Not sure why you are having troubles as I am having none

3. Dark Shroud

Dark Shroud Golden Member

4. Meghan54

Meghan54 Diamond Member

I always wondered who and why anyone would buy a card from PowerColor...still wondering why.

5. SickBeast

SickBeast Lifer

It was $230 shipped. All the other cards were $270 + shipping.

By the way I'm trying the 12.7 betas. Thanks for the links.

6. blackened23

blackened23 Diamond Member

The beta drivers being only at guru3d isn't common knowledge...

Also, TDRs are due to unstable overclocks. Are you overclocking? Temps and unstable overclocks are the #1 reason for driver timeouts and is almost always the culprit. Complaining about TDRs while overclocking 200+ MHz would be weird, although i'm assuming you know what you're doing

#6 blackened23, Jun 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  7. Elixer

Elixer Diamond Member

When are you getting the "display driver stopped responding" messages" ? If it is on your desktop, that sounds like a hardware problem.

As for official "whql" drivers.. meh, who needs them. Keep releasing beta drivers. :)

8. 3DVagabond

3DVagabond Lifer

Agreed. WHQL only means that M$ has splashed them with holy water.

9. lavaheadache

lavaheadache Diamond Member

lol, well put

10. Keysplayr

Keysplayr Elite Member

Return your card to stock speeds.

11. guskline

guskline Diamond Member

My late grandma ( a devout, but humorous, Catholic) asked me onetime do you know how they make Holy Water? I replied no. She said " They boil the H*ll out of it!:eek:():)"

12. Dankk

Dankk Diamond Member

I got those "AMD display driver stopped responding and recovered" quite often with 12.4, and they only happened when idling on the desktop. It also crashed almost every time my monitor went to sleep.

I'm kinda in the same boat as OP, except now I'm using 12.6 and they've fixed those problems entirely.

Good luck OP, let us know how the beta drivers work for you.

13. blckgrffn

blckgrffn Diamond Member

?

http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/downloads.aspx

12.6 Beta is right there at the top.

Or are they going to be at guru3d from now on or something? Why isn't the 12.7 beta posted at game.amd.com?

Ah, I see these were "found" by a Guru3D forum member. I'd expect widely released betas to continue to be hosted right from AMD in that case.

14. Schmide

Schmide Diamond Member

I was getting limited h.264 acceleration with 12.4 on my 7770, these beta drivers seem to have fixed this.

15. jacktesterson

jacktesterson Diamond Member

Powercolor PCS+ are really nice cards.

They mostly make Reference designs though. I've never had issues using them. You can't fault them for using Ref Design coolers.

I am using 12.7 Betas, work with no issues at all for me!

16. SickBeast

SickBeast Lifer

How boring.

I did reduce my overclock a bit though and it seems to have solved it, perhaps in conjunction with the 12.7 betas.

nVidia does have better drivers. You can tell that to your corporate masters as well. Maybe even Rollo. :)

You would have been far better off without the callout
    -ViRGE

#16 SickBeast, Jun 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2012
  17. SickBeast

SickBeast Lifer

I edited the OP. New 12.6s and 12.7 betas are out today.

18. ZimZum

ZimZum Golden Member

You've been around long enough to know that should be the 1st thing you do when having problems with a system that has overclocked components.

C'mon son.

19. Final8ty

Final8ty Golden Member

I would say most enthusiasts still don't do that, to stubborn in thinking that if its stable with the stress programs then it should be stable with everything else.

20. lopri

lopri Elite Member

Keys is correct. Overclocking beyond the card's capacity will cause all kinds of issue, AMD or NV. And "Drivers stopped working/responding" is a prime example of exceedingly high overclocks.

21. blckgrffn

blckgrffn Diamond Member

I've also had that be a prime symptom of a PSU not delivering the power it once did. How confident are you in the health of your PSU?

It sounds like the clockspeeds are more likely, but it might be worth checking out as well, especially if the stability of the OC continues to deteriorate.

22. jacktesterson

jacktesterson Diamond Member

Ive been running a 7850 for a couple months without issue. (besides Crossfire which now appears resolved with newest beta)

I think you need a format with 12.6 or 12.7 Betas

I have a feeling your not as Stable as you think you are with your overclock.

23. railven

railven Diamond Member

Pretty annoyed with this scaling issue, tried everything I could think of, it is a driver (or setting) option that I missing. Essentially, my screen upon boot looks like 15% Underscan, even of 0% is set in CCC, and opening CCC shows 0%.

Giving the screen 30-40 seconds applies the 0% or I can change any display option and it kicks in (ie change resolution, color depth, etc.

I've never had this issue before, I used 12.4 without issues, updated to 12.5 beta (or whatever came out after 12.4 but before 12.6, possibly a hotfix) and that's when the issue first appeared. Around then 12.6 launched, so I upgraded to those issue went away.

Format my PC, got a new SSD, clean Windows install, drivers/OS up to date, installed 12.7, got the scaling issue, figured it was due to leak, uninstalled went o 12.6 (where I am now) and it still exists.

I can't think of any setting under the sun that will affect this. Fresh out of ideas. Not function breaking, just plain freaking annoying.

24. blackened23

blackened23 Diamond Member

HDMI output?

25. Obsoleet

Obsoleet Platinum Member

12.4 sucked for me too. Anyone on 12.4 should probably switch to something else. 12.3 was great but I utilize every single feature on these cards and found a multimonitor profile bug. 12.2 overall is my most recent choice but you can't use those with a 7800.

Try 12.6whql and if you don't like those use 12.3whql. Also overclocking is ****ing yourself. I've had minimal issues with my 5870 since launch day, when I bought it. If you're not spending 10x as much time testing your overclocks as you are setting them- you're doing it wrong.

Set it back to stock unless you're wiling to put in the time necessary that overclocking requires (to do it responsibly, and not resulting in placing unfair blame on the card/drivers).
    Only reason I say this is because I've been there myself. TEST TEST TEST TEST for hours and hours that overclock, now that is truly boring my friend- but it's the way it is if you want to OC.