When/will they make another Star Trek TV series?

darkxshade

Lifer
Mar 31, 2001
There aren't any decent sci-fi shows anymore. Since the reboot has been such a mainstream hit, they are probably more focused on churning out more movies for the big bucks but like all movies, they will eventually lose their appeal.

When[on the timeline] would you like to see the next series take place? What would you like to see differently story-telling wise, concepts, etc?

What I would not like to see is another soap drama pos like Stargate Universe.

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
hopefully soon.
no more of this kindler gentler federation.
we need war. we need stuff blowing up.

Azraele

Elite Member
Nov 5, 2000
I'd like a new Star Trek series too. Are there any rumors about making one at all?

lizardth

Golden Member
Oct 5, 2005
OP have you tried watching Doctor Who? As far as current good Sci Fi goes...:)

acheron

Diamond Member
May 27, 2008
As long as Rick Berman and Brannon Braga stay the hell away from it.

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
Something that takes place about 50 years after Voyager would be good. Allows the writers the most freedom.

In fact, there have been novels regarding what's happened afterwards including the complete defeat of all Borg. Maybe the new show's producers could agree to make those novels canon in exchange for some funds from publishers since the new show would increase their book sales.

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
hopefully soon.
no more of this kindler gentler federation.
we need war. we need stuff blowing up.

this. a war that threatens the existence of the federation should make it do what needs to be done. we've had enough series focused on peaceful exploration. but I wouldn't want to see its ideals taken away completely; that wouldn't be star trek.

and junk the technobabble. as an iconic sci-fi franchise, all that fake science is disgraceful. either hire some science consultants and listen to them, or skip the tech talk. I want to see more modern sci-fi concepts; star trek is quite dated in this aspect.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
My personal opinion is they sucked worse the more they made. If the ratings are any indication most TV viewers agree with me.
One would think the new movie would get people motivated about such things. Perhaps they will wait to see if a 2nd movie does well and then take a shot.

Dec 26, 2007
I think ST : DS9 was more soapish than SG:U but it's best Trek series (at least according to me).

Agree 100%.

DS9 was the BEST ST series. Had very well developed characters, very good writing/story lines, had a good long story arc, great battles, etc. Hell, look at the top 10 favorite ST episodes voted by fans DS9 has the most, including the top 3 spots.

http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/community/reviews/index.html

this. a war that threatens the existence of the federation should make it do what needs to be done. we've had enough series focused on peaceful exploration. but I wouldn't want to see its ideals taken away completely; that wouldn't be star trek.

and junk the technobabble. as an iconic sci-fi franchise, all that fake science is disgraceful. either hire some science consultants and listen to them, or skip the tech talk. I want to see more modern sci-fi concepts; star trek is quite dated in this aspect.

I agree. I think that the Dominion War has been one of the best in that universe. It forced the Federation/Sisko to make choices between morality, duty, honor, etc. There were great battles, but it was a ruthless war where both sides had to do whatever it took to win (i.e. world wars of our history).

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
They just rebooted the movies. Expect at least 2 more films before they begin to dilute the ip again.

Cheesemoo

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2001
I would like to see the story from the point of view of the "future enterprise" in the last episode of STNG. The one with the larger phaser cannon on the underbelly of the dish section and the three warp nacelles

or

something following a Prometheus-class ship.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
The original was cheesy as hell, with poorly written scripts, bad acting and cheaply designed sets...yet at the time, it was fun to watch.

TNG took things to a new level with better sets and slightly better acting and scripts...but IMO, they took themselves too seriously.

After TNG, they went completely to shit, and DS9 and Voyager weren't watching at all, unless maybe you were a 9 year old kid who was easily entertained...:p

HOWEVER, I'd like to see a NEW Star Trek series...or a new movie, but HOPEFULLY, they'd spend the money on sets/technology to make it a GOOD one...instead of merely mediocre.

darkxshade

Lifer
Mar 31, 2001
I think ST : DS9 was more soapish than SG:U but it's best Trek series (at least according to me).

It's been a while since I saw DS9 but I don't remember it having the kind of drama that SGU did. SGU has no likable characters. Even Voyager was better than SGU which I think is a better comparison since it has the same plot element.

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
I guess my definition of 'soapish' is not exactly the 'drama' part, but more of the continuous and dynamic progression of the characters throughout the series. And the fact that there are huge story arcs spanning not only a few episodes but a few seasons that make it a very big deal. It's stuff that will make someone completely lost (and in some cases, even hate the series) if they watch the show jumping around from episode to episode randomly instead of in order. It's probably inaccurate but I call this 'soapish' :)

SG:U on the other hand I don't think is about drama either. What it seems to be trying to do is to be like BSG, in terms of the 'darkness' of the situation and the feeling of realness and tension between the crew. They saw BSG pulled this off pretty damn good so they decided to gamble with this method instead of following the tried and true recipes from SG1 and SG:A. However, the story itself and how they're telling it have not been really good so far. I'm still watching though and I have some hope that it's going to get better. Hopefully SyFy is giving them a chance for a couple of seasons to let it take off and be better.

oogabooga

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2003
If they do - I hope it's a new IP set in the future/advancing the main story line. No reboots.

I personally loved DS9 and would watch something similar.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
HOWEVER, I'd like to see a NEW Star Trek series...or a new movie, but HOPEFULLY, they'd spend the money on sets/technology to make it a GOOD one...instead of merely mediocre.

It would be nice if they spent money on writers and directors, too.

dr150

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2003
I would like to see the story from the point of view of the "future enterprise" in the last episode of STNG. The one with the larger phaser cannon on the underbelly of the dish section and the three warp nacelles

DS9 = Boring

I gave up on the Star Trek series after TNG.

.....My suggestion for a future series is to have an all female crew with large breasts in skin tight suits......all as hot as 7of9, T'Pol and that huge hootered redhead from Mad Men (the captain having the largest rack).....riding on that Star Trek ship with that large phallic looking cannon in front..... Spanking ass and taking names every week........The story arc will be them trying to conquer that planet with those horny green bitches and other hottie planets for sexual enslavement. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I guarantee you that the ratings will be higher than that American Idol crap! :D

Last edited: