When will student loans bubble burst?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Well hopefully you make enough to pay it back before we go to single payer and doctor salaries decline to the average in other first world countries. :)

I've always wanted to do primary care, so my salary is at the bottom end anyway. Turns out even if you don't go into medicine for the money, they still make you pay an epic fuckton for training.

the DRIZZLE

Platinum Member
Sep 6, 2007
I've always wanted to do primary care, so my salary is at the bottom end anyway. Turns out even if you don't go into medicine for the money, they still make you pay an epic fuckton for training.

The AMA is a cartel. You gotta pay the price of admission to join.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
or be a environmentalist eco-KOOK and study nothing endlessly.. promote alarmist rhetoric.. and get paid by soaking the tax payer thru grant scams.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
The AMA is a cartel. You gotta pay the price of admission to join.

It's not really the AMA, per se. No worries though, there are a few government loan repayment/forgiveness programs available to primary care docs. Hopefully I won't actually have to pay back the.. half a mil or so.

3chordcharlie

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2004
If they are going to forgive debt from student loans; I want my $500 back from mine :biggrin:

Why should the idiots get rewarded for bad behavior/choices
This reasoning could extend to *all* bankruptcies, including corporate ones.

Why are student loans different (I'm not saying they aren't, just not really convinced).

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Student loan interest rate set to increase 100% from 3.4% to 6.8% on July 1st.

http://lifeinc.today.com/_news/2013...-student-loans-set-to-double-this-summer?lite

That should help bust the bubble.

(I don't understand the reason for raising these rates. The US govt is getting historically low rates on its debts. Aside from some amount for admin costs and expected defaults etc, the rate should be as low as possible. But perhaps an increase in the default rate is driving this increase? IDK.)

Fern

Status
Not open for further replies.