When will smartphones last a whole day or 2 days with heavy usage?

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
There's a couple of smart phones I think from china that stuffed large batteries in the phone, and are claiming pretty high battery life.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Will this ever happen ?

Nope. "Heavy usage" is relative to the era, the user and the equipment: The moment you could potentially have a smartphone with a battery capacity of two days' heavy usage, the dependent hardware will grow accordingly.

According to my phone stats, I last charged it 6 days ago. To be fair, those stats aren't quite correct: It received a ~10% charge a few days ago when I used it as a satnav for about half an hour and had it plugged into my car.

Reactions: Mike64

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Sure it will happen, and I would say for some people it does happen. It depends on your definition of "heavy usage." I personally would classify that as ~8 hours of screen on time.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Not sure, but my Xiaomi Redmi note 5 is way better battery life than any of my last 3 samsung flagships ever did(note2,4, S7E), having a power sipping SOC im sure helps alot but its still powerful enough to do anything i want to do with it. It easily lasts a day and a half, 2 is pushing it though.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
In the removable battery era this was standard. Simply swapping the battery pretty much meant indefinite use.

But since the mobile industry determined to go backward... ;) who knows when the current battery size/usage battle will equalize in multi-day real word use.

jm0ris0n

Golden Member
Sep 15, 2000
Assuming you sleep 8 hours a day, the iPhone XR should get you pretty close to your goal. Lasts 1.5 hours over an 8+ in web browsing:

96171.png

Otherwise I hear great things about Motorola Startacs...they can even receive text messages!!!

Gunbuster

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Remove one of the key drivers to phone upgrades? Never outside of a few niche phones they intend to sell very few of.

If the mass adoption phone had two day battery years down the line it would be degraded to one day life and you would still be happy. That would leave them only with the hope you spike it off some concrete and shatter the 365 degree glass cocoon. It could literally stall the phone buying pipeline for an entire year and cost billions in profit.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
When people stop caring about shaving 0.1mm off their phones. I already have to use cases to make them comfortable to handle.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
When people stop caring about shaving 0.1mm off their phones. I already have to use cases to make them comfortable to handle.

I'm seriously considering going mid-range next time. I won't have a hi res OLED screen, but a lot of the midrange phones have batteries larger than some flagships, and some are still removable. Plus they're 1/3 of the price.

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
My phones are not known for long battery life, however they have power saving settings that significantly extend battery life. You can do this manually by tuning off features you don't use. Still 2 days is only going to happen is some kind of limping standby mode, not heavy usage.

A Battery Case is your best option at this point.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MUGAXR7

ZippZ

Jul 24, 2000
Wish they made a phone twice as thick with a flagship processor and a 8000MAH battery. I'd buy one.

PlanetJosh

Golden Member
May 6, 2013
After all the tech to date and no consumer batteries that last a couple days with heavy usage. I'm not saying it should now be like the battery in the movie Knight and Day but at least a few days with all the options on.

hayhayhayday

Jan 20, 2019
I have used several Xiaomi phones with stock android roms and rarely end the day under 60-70% , my nexus 6p I had before would usually be close to empty with similar usage. Great value for ~$150