When will CM9 be stable and available for most phones?

Discussion in 'Mobile Devices & Gadgets' started by SickBeast, Jun 30, 2012.

1. SickBeast

SickBeast Lifer

I just got a Samsung Exhibit 2 and the CM9/ICS build for the phone is still not stable and it's missing a bunch of features like the camera and tethering.

Do you guys have any idea when we can expect the final build of these ROMs? Are they still working the bugs out of ICS and getting all the cameras to work?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - stable phones Forum Date
    Google Will Auto-Delete Android Backups If Users Don't Use Their Phones for 2 Weeks Mobile Devices & Gadgets Monday at 2:21 PM
    Wifi-only phone for using at stores etc.? Mobile Devices & Gadgets Friday at 5:59 PM
    Is the Fire stable? The demo at Target wasn't. Mobile Devices & Gadgets Nov 25, 2011
    CM6 for Droid! [stable release] Anyone have it yet? Mobile Devices & Gadgets Aug 28, 2010
    Android just isn't a stable OS Mobile Devices & Gadgets Jul 30, 2010

3. NikolaeVarius

CM9 has a stable build out for many phones.

Its up to the niche developers for less prominent devides to get CM9 working pefectly.

4. T_Yamamoto

T_Yamamoto Lifer

This.

May take a while

5. SickBeast

SickBeast Lifer

Hmm...thanks guys. Hopefully by the end of the summer then. :)

6. DLeRium

DLeRium Lifer

Prominent devices like the Nexus S still have glaring bugs like the torch toggle from the notification bar not working...

The SGS2 still has a broken auto brightness and a slightly borked GPS.

Hopefully in the next 2 months. I hope CM9 at least gets wrapped up. I know ICS was a difficult transition so CM9 is way behind CM7 development last year. CM7 hit in May right and 7.1 was RC stable in June. I just hope CM9 gets the proper treatment to a decent end because Jelly Bean is already on everyone's minds clearly...

7. superccs

superccs Senior member

8. SickBeast

SickBeast Lifer

Jelly Bean should hopefully be a trivial update for them to implement.

9. WelshBloke

WelshBloke Lifer

What is it with the CM love?

Its OK if your device isnt getting any more updates but really its not that great.

10. Crow550

Crow550 Platinum Member

11. NutBucket

NutBucket Lifer

Unfortunately if you want lots of developer support you're going to have to stick with less "obscure" handsets. Hell, its even taken quite a while for the Verizon GalaxyS variant to get some decent ROMs (including CM7).

And ask Thunderbolt owners how much loving they get form devs.

12. AstroManLuca

AstroManLuca Lifer

Would you rather have Sense/Blur/TouchWiz over stock Android? I guess a few people might, and those people have the option of using a rom based on their phone's original software or just not using a rom at all.

If you want stock Android (AOSP), CM is the way to get it. It gets ported to the largest number of devices, and nearly all AOSP roms are based on CM.

#11 AstroManLuca, Jul 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  13. WelshBloke

WelshBloke Lifer

You generally lose a bunch of features (like hardware acceleration in the browser, etc). If you don't like sense/TW and the like you're better off just using a different launcher and freezing anything you don't need with titanium.

14. AstroManLuca

AstroManLuca Lifer

I guess it depends on the device. The first time I flashed CM9 to my Kindle Fire, there was no hardware acceleration and thus games were unplayable. Eventually someone wrote a new kernel with HWA support and now it works great.

I never had trouble with CM9 on my Samsung Epic, but I also didn't install it until a while after it first became available.

I think as long as the bugs get ironed out, which they usually eventually do, CM is preferable to a Sense/TouchWiz rom. But again, it depends on the device. Some phones have lots of people working on them and the bugs get squashed. Others have nearly dead dev communities and the best you can do is just what you described - use a stock rooted rom and install a custom launcher.

15. Red Storm

Red Storm Lifer

I think if you even know what CM is, you should know to get a phone that will be supported by the community (if that's what you're looking for).

16. AstroManLuca

AstroManLuca Lifer

Most people who are in the know are naturally going to gravitate toward the higher end phones anyway. The phones that get left in the dust are the crappy low end ones like the Samsung Dart or HTC Wildfire that no one in the dev community is going to be interested in anyway.

17. SickBeast

SickBeast Lifer

The interface is drastically improved along with hardware acceleration. Everything seems faster and more fluid. There are also a bunch of new features added.

CM is also far more customizable than a stock ROM.