When will Anti-Conservatives put this country back on track?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
But [the left's] position was one of no cuts but taxing the evil rich.

Why do you tell bald-faced lies?

95% of what's said here about liberals is wrong or lies, I can't remember the other 5%.

Last edited:

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
You fuckers give waaaaaay too much credit to such a small organization (The Tea Party). Fuck...might as well blame African hunger on them while youre at it.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Yeah, a small group of members of the house who organized a year ago is to blame for this, not the idiots who've been busily spending the country into oblivion for decades! That makes sense..... in dimlib world.

Nov 30, 2006
And Republicans got 98% of what they wanted out of this deal. Spin away, but you guys own this.
I was correcting your spin with fact...people on both sides of the aisle were willing to taking this country into default...you act as if Democrats had no fault whatsoever in this.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
It's like this board is a portal to some alternate universe where up is down, white is black, and Democrats were the ones openly calling for a default.

Republicans own this, by their own admission:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...washington/2011/08/02/gIQARSFfqI_story_1.html

This may surprise you. But we live in a representative democracy. That means there will and should be debate on national issues. That means several sides to a single issue. Meaning the very fact democrats werent willing to bow to every demand of republicans they were willing to default as well. They just werent vocal about it.

Oct 16, 1999
So the actual votes cast by Democrats don't really matter in your alternate universe? Hitting the pipe a little early today?

Any vote beyond the point of pass/defeat actually doesn't really matter. But I guarantee you if raising the debt ceiling with this deal actually came down to any one of those Dem "no" votes, it would have been "yes." The same can't be said of the R votes by McConnell's own admission. They took the hostage, and tea partiers wanted to shoot it.

Nov 30, 2006
Any vote beyond the point of pass/defeat actually doesn't really matter. But I guarantee you if raising the debt ceiling with this deal actually came down to any one of those Dem "no" votes, it would have been "yes." The same can't be said of the R votes by McConnell's own admission. They took the hostage, and tea partiers wanted to shoot it.
Let me see if I got this straight...101 Democrats voted to shoot the hostage...but that's OK...because on some timeline in an alternate universe they would have all switched their votes if they thought the hostage was really going to be shot. Fascinating.

Oct 16, 1999
Let me see if I got this straight...101 Democrats voted to shoot the hostage...but that's OK...because on some timeline in an alternate universe they would have all switched their votes if they thought the hostage was really going to be shot. Fascinating.

In this universe the only reason any House D's had to vote yes at all was because enough R's were willing to shoot the hostage despite getting 98% of what they wanted in this deal. But don't let that stop you from continuing to dance your cute little jig of denial.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
In this universe the only reason any House D's had to vote yes at all was because enough R's were willing to shoot the hostage despite getting 98% of what they wanted in this deal. But don't let that stop you from continuing to dance your cute little jig of denial.

You could have always given them everything they wanted.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Would one of our esteemed left leaning members would please explain to me what would have happened if the Democrats still had complete control of congress?

Wasn't the original Democrat plan to pass a clean debt bill with no cuts at all?

And didn't the Democrats have two years during which they could have raised taxes but didn't? (and six months of that period was with a filibuster proof majority)

And why is it that Obama learned what the term 'fiscal responsibility' meant after being in office for two years?

Nov 30, 2006
OK...have it your way...the way they negotiated and how they voted doesn't mean jack shit, it's quite clear that Dems had no fault whatsoever in this matter. :rolleyes:

Interesting universe...but I will say it's all so much simplier this way. Oh look...they put a letter after everyone's name so you can actually tell the good guys from the bad guys...isn't that clever.

Macamus Prime

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2011
Does this mean that the Whore of Babylo,... I mean, Sarah Palin's road to the White House is now guaranteed?

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Does this mean that the Whore of Babylo,... I mean, Sarah Palin's road to the White House is now guaranteed?

It's still more likely that Uncle To... Obama will win although neither deserve it. Perversely perhaps we as a collective deserve either, perhaps both.

JockoJohnson

Golden Member
May 20, 2009
It's still more likely that Uncle To... Obama will win although neither deserve it. Perversely perhaps we as a collective deserve either, perhaps both.

I don't think that is very PC of you to say. Unless you are an extreme libtard like the poster above you, you are not permitted to make fun of the Democrats. You're not being very civil. Only "They" get to make fun of others without retribution, so watch out.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
So by your little chart there, gang of six plan was the democrats favored, and the cut cap and balance was the republican favored. Both AAA plans if that makes a difference, now let see what cuts the deficit better. Ah, I hope you're smart enough to figure that one out on your own.

That chart was made by citi before 2 weeks before the deadline. As it turns out, S&P was looking for $4T of cuts, so that cut cap and balance wouldn't have prevented the downgrade.

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
That chart was made by citi before 2 weeks before the deadline. As it turns out, S&P was looking for $4T of cuts, so that cut cap and balance wouldn't have prevented the downgrade.

WTF does that matter? 1.4T/2 years vs 4T/10-12 years. so you are saying that S&P would rather have .33-.4T a year cuts instead of .7T. Are you really this stupid or is S&P stupid?

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
WTF does that matter? 1.4T/2 years vs 4T/10-12 years. so you are saying that S&P would rather have .33-.4T a year cuts instead of .7T. Are you really this stupid or is S&P stupid?

That's what S&P said, I don't know how they model it.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
ALL the numbers are over 10 year periods.

We were on track to add $10 trillion to the deficit in 10 years.

The S&P wanted that lowered to $6 trillion. We lowered it to$8 trillion instead, a long ways off.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
Liberals blaming Conservatives for the Downgrade

07-minister.jpg

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Depending on the results of the WI recall election we may have the answer to this thread.