When travelling, at what point do you fly instead of drive?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
My threshold is fairly low but I travel a lot for business. Usually a 4 hour drive if local (so I'll drive to Portland from Seattle but if I had to commute to Eugene I'd try and fly). If I'm flying to a client site, I'll usually drive 60 minutes to 90 minutes rather than fly a connection. Anything over 90 minutes and I'll fly.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
west VA to Central california is way way more than 900 miles. or is CenCal is not short for Central California.

Which would be why I said W. WA, not W. VA...and yes, CenCal is Central California.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Depends what I'm bringing and how far it is.

When I go to NC for a week at the beach it's an 8 hour drive, but we have to bring a bunch of shit, so we drive. Also there is no airport near the beach we go to.

But when I went to a wedding in Cape Cod, it would have been an 8 hour drive, but we flew instead because it was just for 2 nights and we didn't bring much.

I'd probably fly instead of drive 10.5 hours each way simply due to time. But I also have a lot of points and perks where I've saved probably $8k or so in flights the past 2 years.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Skip domestic first. Any domestic flight above $300 that I have to take and pay for out of my own pocket I use miles for and my limit is about 4 hours of driving.

Saint Louis to New Orleans/Biloxi is an agonizing drive. Super flat. It's all farmland until Memphis at which point it becomes all slashpines. Plus when I drive I want to speed which can add in an extra cost. :p

Wait - is this question actually about going from St Louis to New Orleans? Southwest flies there nonstop (2x per day I think?) and is ~1hr 45min. Far enough out and you're probably looking at $150 each direction.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Saint Louis to New Orleans/Biloxi is an agonizing drive. Super flat. It's all farmland until Memphis at which point it becomes all slashpines. Plus when I drive I want to speed which can add in an extra cost. :p

Ugh, I know that drive. All of my extended family is from Jefferson City, Misery (Missouri). I generally don't mind long drives but you are right that is one boring ass mofoing drive, I've made it once in my adult life because I had a ton of stuff to bring and never ever again. I'll pay a friggen common carrier and fly my ass if I have to before making that drive myself.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I use one of these while driving to listen to podcasts. Too bad it's been discontinued.
https://www.amazon.com/Monster-MBL-FM-XMTR300-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B000E43GOO
I have one of those (not Monster) I use to charge the iPod in the car or if I happen to get a rental w/o an aux port.

I was on one trip with multiple cars out in the back of beyond. I made a stop and the driver of another car complained that he was listening to the best radio station but he just totally lost reception and he was bummed. Magically, the station came back on when we started out again. :D

Reactions: lxskllr

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
I drove a moving van towing a car 27 hours from New York to the Gulf Coast, dropped off the car, slept for 8 hours, then drove 23 hours back to NY. I've done a lot of long road trips, and I'm just kind of dreading this already.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
1. Is flying still faster factoring in security / taxiing BS?
2. Is the cost worth it?
3. Do we just want to get there ASAP or points of interests exist?

There is nothing interesting between San Diego and Las Vegas. I’ve driven it once. That was enough.