When should I upgrade to PCIe?

cremator

Sep 21, 2001
I'm very ready to build a new system, and have over 6,000$ to put into the machine. But I still want to stay within a reasonable ammount of cash. PCIe is my most important upgrade right now since I plan to take advantage of SLI. When do you people assume it'd be a good time to upgrade to it (assuming it has future revisions and such)

Aug 27, 2002
after it's been more proven, there are more cards for it, and it becomes more mainstreamed. SATA just got to that point a few months aga imo.

imported_Computer MAn

Golden Member
Sep 30, 2004
Originally posted by: cremator
So at least 4 - 6 months minimum would be a safe time?

That's probably a good estimate maybe a little longer.

Sorry to be off topic but when do you think AGP will start to fade out. Will the NV50 and the R500 be on AGP or PCI-E only.

beatle

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2001
PCIe already seems to be here. Some of the more desireable midrange cards are only offered in PCIe (6600 and x700 come to mind). Unless you want a budget system, I'd say upgrading to PCIe is worthwhile. SATA was easy to migrate to, as there are no SATA only boards that I'm aware of.

imported_Computer MAn

Golden Member
Sep 30, 2004
Originally posted by: beatle
PCIe already seems to be here. Some of the more desireable midrange cards are only offered in PCIe (6600 and x700 come to mind). Unless you want a budget system, I'd say upgrading to PCIe is worthwhile. SATA was easy to migrate to, as there are no SATA only boards that I'm aware of.

The 6600 GT was released today on AGP.

Mrvile

Lifer
Oct 16, 2004
I'm gonna give it a year myself before switching over to PCIe, because I heard there's not gonna be many changes in technology between the two for the next two years.

cheesehead

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
There will be NO MORE AGP CARDS. Although a few midrange cards might be introduced with an AGP bridge (which decreases performance), PCI-E is a proven technology that's going to be coming into use very quickly. If you're looking for multiple super-high-performance graphics cards, PCI express is the only way to go-the 6600GT is 20$ faster than a 9800 pro, but is 25% faster, too.

beatle

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2001
Originally posted by: Computer MAn
Originally posted by: beatle

The 6600 GT was released today on AGP.

Well leave it to recent releases to screw my post up. :p