When selling a faulty card, is showing the serial number safe?

Deanodarlo

Dec 14, 2000
Just wondering if it's safe to show or give away a cards serial number when selling it on. I could take pics of the back of the card, but it will show the serial number.

I mean, could someone use it to register the card in their name?

I have a faulty card which I'm going to sell in a few weeks and people will probably be interested if the serial is still valid for RMA. I think it is, so don't want to register it. But giving it out might be risky as people might register the number without buying to check if it's valid or been pre-registered.

What do guys think?

Last edited:

Schmide

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2002
If it was craigslist, I'd flag it for the lame factor.

I'd RMA it then sell it.

Deanodarlo

Dec 14, 2000
I'm in the UK - RMA is not an easy task as it is in the USA if you can't return it to the original place of purchase within one year. That's why I'm selling it - for those who know or can do better than I.

Certain manufacturers fob you off forever unless you are in certain countries.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
If rma is not an option for you....Then just edit the serial number on the photo and explain why you did in the description to be worry free :)

Deanodarlo

Dec 14, 2000
True, that's what I might do.

I've read and many places only ask for the serial number to RMA it - however if it's been registered to another name and address they might get funny as I'm not sure if it's transferable.