When people say the end of the world is neigh?

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Ok, I got into a talk with a Christain friend who told me that the end was coming, and the rapture was upon us. I've heard this many times in the past. He was like "you had better repent. The signs are there, and the rapture is coming soon." He then goes on about COVID-19, murder hornets, Australian brush fires, China and a few other events. Then, I'm like well what about WW1, WW2, the black plague, the spanish flu, destruction of the Roman empire. I went on to explain that during the black plague nearly 200m people died. There was no rapture. In fact, priest back then were also claiming that the end was neigh. I guess if I were living back then I'd probably think the same. People were dying in the streets. I went on and told him to give me one event today that took the lives of over 200m people. He couldnt. This mentality that the world is in a bad place today is a big pet peeve of mine. I went to my aunt's funeral the other day and the priest went on how people are losing faith, and this has contributed to our world being in a very bad place. I'm thinking is this guy crazy? I think we are living in amazing times. I can play video games, stream movies on my laptop and smartphone, workout, work from home, date whoever I want, travel to exotic countires, etc etc. Things that I couldn't had done even 20 years ago.

We are living on a rock that is spinning thru the solar system at a very high rate. Who would had thought that bad things would ever happen. IMO, this is the best time to be alive.

Reactions: mopardude87

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
The end is near, problem is, what *IS* near, in biblical terms? Could be another 100 years or even 1000 years. But we need to live our lives as if it was tomorrow. Don't go maxing out your credit cards mind you. :p

I think a key sign will when the UN is going to complete agenda 2030. New world order, 1 world government, total control of population, mark of the beast (it won't actually be called that but be something you are required to have) etc. That is part of the phrophercies. It's easy to say it's near because the world is getting more and more bad in terms of major events, violence, corruption etc but that kind of comes in waves. Yeah maybe stuff was not as bad 30 years ago, but it was worse 60 years ago. It's kind of up and down if you look at longer term stretches.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
He then goes on about COVID-19, murder hornets, Australian brush fires, China and a few other events. Then, I'm like well what about WW1, WW2, the black plague, the spanish flu, destruction of the Roman empire. I went on to explain that during the black plague nearly 200m people died. There was no rapture. In fact, priest back then were also claiming that the end was neigh.

Yup, all of this. I got one christian trying to leave the country while also preaching the end of times shit.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
As an atheist, I've obviously never put stock in any man claiming to know what the future brings. Having said that, I've seen the data surrounding our current climate change, and rest assured, the reign of man will end on Earth, and if we're super lucky, we'll be off-world when it happens. If we're really-really lucky, we'll be able to come back some day.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
We're Doomed, Now What?

Whatever happens, the sun will explode in 5 billion years. That's about 27,000 times how long humans have stood on the planet.

Honestly, I'm not counting on anything right now. I do not know the future. A vaccine for covid-19 will probably happen, a good one, but I'm not counting on it, it might not happen. I'm not liking our chances of avoiding climate catastrophe in this century and the next. I'm not liking the USA's chances of becoming great.

...as if it ever was.

Last edited:

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
claiming that the end was neigh

it's "nigh"
QW1v1XH.png

Reactions: pcgeek11

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
As an atheist, I've obviously never put stock in any man claiming to know what the future brings. Having said that, I've seen the data surrounding our current climate change, and rest assured, the reign of man will end on Earth, and if we're super lucky, we'll be off-world when it happens. If we're really-really lucky, we'll be able to come back some day.

I get the want to move to another planet but really, if we can't even agree to stop destroying earth I don't think trying to make another planet livable is going to work. Scientifically it might be doable but socially I don't know.

Though I say send all the rich people to Mars and let them figure it out, the rest of us can work on saving the planet by moving to 100% renewable energy and slowing down the pace of life to something more manageable for our mental health, and for Earth.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Being able and willingness is the issue. We can fix earth quite easily but the powers that be care more about money than slowing down the industrial complex of capitalism and changing to green energy. The answer is always "that costs money" and no one wants to pay or change.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I get the want to move to another planet but really, if we can't even agree to stop destroying earth I don't think trying to make another planet livable is going to work. Scientifically it might be doable but socially I don't know.
Leave the dumbasses behind. That should buy us tens of thousands of years before needing to find another planet, and earth might be pretty good at that point.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
It's a lot easier to keep a thousand people alive on Mars than to fix Earth if humans are still making the decisions.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
The end is near, problem is, what *IS* near, in biblical terms? Could be another 100 years or even 1000 years. But we need to live our lives as if it was tomorrow. Don't go maxing out your credit cards mind you. :p

I think a key sign will when the UN is going to complete agenda 2030. New world order, 1 world government, total control of population, mark of the beast (it won't actually be called that but be something you are required to have) etc. That is part of the phrophercies. It's easy to say it's near because the world is getting more and more bad in terms of major events, violence, corruption etc but that kind of comes in waves. Yeah maybe stuff was not as bad 30 years ago, but it was worse 60 years ago. It's kind of up and down if you look at longer term stretches.
it's "nigh"
QW1v1XH.png

neigh.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: pcgeek11
Nov 17, 2019
Closer than ever: It is 100 seconds to midnight
2020 Doomsday Clock Announcement
Washington, D.C. • January 23, 2020
Humanity continues to face two simultaneous existential dangers—nuclear war and climate change—that are compounded by a threat multiplier, cyber-enabled information warfare, that undercuts society’s ability to respond. The international security situation is dire, not just because these threats exist, but because world leaders have allowed the international political infrastructure for managing them to erode.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
Closer than ever: It is 100 seconds to midnight
2020 Doomsday Clock Announcement
Washington, D.C. • January 23, 2020
Humanity continues to face two simultaneous existential dangers—nuclear war and climate change—that are compounded by a threat multiplier, cyber-enabled information warfare, that undercuts society’s ability to respond. The international security situation is dire, not just because these threats exist, but because world leaders have allowed the international political infrastructure for managing them to erode.

i'm just crossing my fingers that doomsday waits until after i'm dead

luckily with as many health problems as i've had lately, i might only need a few years

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

The "Prophecies" were about Nero not the future.