When people buy a busted laptop for $100+ ?

jimpz

Oct 25, 2008
On the good side, your company has 'standardized' on these laptops, easiest way to get parts.

On the bad side, someone's hoping they can 'recover' your data from the harddrive, even if you've wiped it.

Feb 25, 2011
Looking for fix one you already have. Bust screen in my laptop? Find one on eBay with a busted motherboard and a good screen. Pour coffee on laptop? Find one on eBay with a busted screen.

And so the circle of salvage goes.

Zodiark1593

Platinum Member
Oct 21, 2012
Basically a Pick N Pull for laptops. Aptly so as their designs are as varied as vehicle designs and parts from the OEM obscenely expensive.

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
A laptop with a broken screen can make for a very decent low budget compact desktop, with a built in UPS I might add. You can fairly easily attach a notebook onto the back of a 32" tv and its out of sight out of mind.

monkeydelmagico

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2011
A laptop with a broken screen can make for a very decent low budget compact desktop, with a built in UPS I might add. You can fairly easily attach a notebook onto the back of a 32" tv and its out of sight out of mind.

Yep, good basis for car-puters too. I've seen automotive infotainments systems using old lappy as hub.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Looking for fix one you already have. Bust screen in my laptop? Find one on eBay with a busted motherboard and a good screen. Pour coffee on laptop? Find one on eBay with a busted screen.

And so the circle of salvage goes.

We've done this for a couple of laptops at work in the past, for people who were too busy to migrate to a new laptop and reinstall all their programs. Time was more important than the cost, but back when we did it new business laptops were still $1200+ not $500.

fire400

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2005
$185? ..ridiculous piece of junk.

could of gotten a very good condition one w/o HDD, 4GB, perfect screen for $200 shipping, for the same product, x220.
I rarely ever, ever bid on computer parts on eBay. i've realized there are enough buy-it-now options to not have to wait, and not have to be concerned about saving $10-30 bucks while anticipating for the possibility of not even "winning" the item you intend or need to purchase.

Burpo

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2013
I picked up a pristine Toshiba Satellite C655-S5310 last week.. 15.6" LED, SandyBridge dual core, 4gb ram, 500gb drive w/dual layer/lightscribe dvd burner, web cam & fresh factory restore Windows 7, complete with good battery & power block.. Delivered to my door 3 days later $107.. Booted right & works perfect! Screw Buy it now.. Buy it when price is right! :)

Last edited:

GoodEnough

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2011
$185? ..ridiculous piece of junk.

could of gotten a very good condition one w/o HDD, 4GB, perfect screen for $200 shipping, for the same product, x220.
I rarely ever, ever bid on computer parts on eBay. i've realized there are enough buy-it-now options to not have to wait, and not have to be concerned about saving $10-30 bucks while anticipating for the possibility of not even "winning" the item you intend or need to purchase.

The Buy it Now options are more expensive than any auction.
X220 via BIN? $350.

fire400

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2005
The Buy it Now options are more expensive than any auction.
X220 via BIN? $350.

i just saw it this morning. x220 shipped for $200. of course though, it's probably gone..

in fact a month ago, I saw a refurb thinkpad twist (touch) i3, no HDD, for $200 shipped, very good condition.

i'm not an ebay freak or anything, but when I was at a computer research facility, i surfed ebay for six hours a day. and i realized the deals are better during morning hours and non-weekend hours.
basically, the closer the start of the week, and in the morning/early afternoon, the deals are almost always better.

i found a t400s, SSD, 4GB, for $100 shipped. fan error. fan replacement: $10 shipped. it sat for days.. of course I didn't need it, but sometimes it blows my mind why some deals don't go as fast as they should.