When Iraq fails will the people of Iraq and the Arabs in general have even more reason to distrust and hate us?

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Well, when US Arab approval ratings were something like 4% before GWB started his watch, its not a long fall to zero.

But I think its safe to say, it stands at zero today. Sadly, worldwide, its much worse now all over the world.

The real question is, can we salvage it after GWB leaves office?

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
Wasn't Saddam hated in the Arab world? We did them a big favor.

Of course losing 4,000+ troops for them might not seem justified in a lot of people's eyes.

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Was he really as hated as we are led to believe?

Seems as much as he was an extremist.. he also had to be that way to fight the extremists...

Was removing him worth destroying their infrastructure and museums and educational system and employment and all the other shit we blew up or didn't protect

Grunt03

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2000
Originally posted by: dahunan
This is not troll bait.. I am being honest...

I dought that we are going to be best friends and take long showers together. They will hate us, always have and always will no matter what we do. I think we should start making them pay for rebuilding their country, pick up the tab for the deployed service members. Stop letting them have a free ride and things will change, continue down the road we have been and we will be here for 100 years.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002

Originally posted by: Grunt03

I dought that we are going to be best friends and take long showers together. They will hate us, always have and always will no matter what we do. I think we should start making them pay for rebuilding their country, pick up the tab for the deployed service members. Stop letting them have a free ride and things will change, continue down the road we have been and we will be here for 100 years.

bla bla bla bla lies lies lies lies. they never - as a group - "always have and always will" hate us. The current conditions are directly created as a result of shitty mid east policy for a long time. If you feel like you should force them to pay for the deployed army troops - get the hell out then. We are the ones wanting to stay longer if you want to go back and check that.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
With the idiots finally ejected things in Iraq are considerably better militarily than before. At this point it's left up to the local politicians to complete the process to allow for "a win", but they will still need outside military support to do so: so calling any defeat at this time would be premature. And let's not forget that this is a country divided among many ethnic backgrounds other than Arabs including Persians and Kurds.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
From the OP perspective, they have to fail.

Otherwise, the US policy can not be considered a failure.
That becomes the key issue - failure is the measurement, not success.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
Originally posted by: Common Courtesy

Yeah. Poor assumption..

After 30 years of war, Saddam, being bombed back into the stone age, etc., Iraq really has no where to go but up. We just need to find the right guy who is not overly friendly toward Iran and not too much of an enigma to the West - kinda Saddam-lite.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Who don't Muslims hate is a better question?

The 60-70 million Hindus killed and tens of thousands of temples destroyed in Pakistan and India I'm sure had it coming. The Greco-Buddhist civilization of Afghanistan which was probably too Western so it was destroyed by Muslim invaders. The 1 million or so Armenians definitely had it coming daring to build Churches in Dar Islam. The attacks all over Asia, and all over Africa, of Muslims against Christians, of Muslims against Blacks, of Muslims against Buddists
, of Muslims against those not quite Muslim enough. Hate the tiny Infidel state of Israel, the Christians of Lebanon, and the Maronites of Lebanon. Hate artists in Europe, the police in Europe, girls not wearing a Hijab and especially European cars which they seem to like watching burn.

As long as you believe the mainstream media's never-ending quest to ignore or downplay the jihad imperative within Islam, and to attribute the present global jihad to some other factor such as they hate us because of the immorality of Western culture, or we support Israel, and lately - we bailed on them in Iraq - you'll be asking what is it this time, or next time ad nauseum. Forever miffed forever clueless.

Stoneburner

Diamond Member
May 29, 2003
Once again, history lessons are mandatory. "THEY" did not hate "US" always. In fact, during and after ww2 the arab nations had pretty good relations with the u.s.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
Originally posted by: Zebo
Who don't Muslims hate is a better question?

The 60-70 million Hindus killed and tens of thousands of temples destroyed in Pakistan and India I'm sure had it coming. The Greco-Buddhist civilization of Afghanistan which was probably too Western so it was destroyed by Muslim invaders. The 1 million or so Armenians definitely had it coming daring to build Churches in Dar Islam. The attacks all over Asia, and all over Africa, of Muslims against Christians, of Muslims against Blacks, of Muslims against Buddists
, of Muslims against those not quite Muslim enough. Hate the tiny Infidel state of Israel, the Christians of Lebanon, and the Maronites of Lebanon. Hate artists in Europe, the police in Europe, girls not wearing a Hijab and especially European cars which they seem to like watching burn.

As long as you believe the mainstream media's never-ending quest to ignore or downplay the jihad imperative within Islam, and to attribute the present global jihad to some other factor such as they hate us because of the immorality of Western culture, or we support Israel, and lately - we bailed on them in Iraq - you'll be asking what is it this time, or next time ad nauseum. Forever miffed forever clueless.

How seriously stupid can you be? I'm being serious.

This is how stupid your arguement is:

WHO doesn't the West hate is a better question?
The millions of native Britons wiped out by invading Germans long ago sureee had it coming. The Polytheist civilizations of the Aztec, Inca, all the Meso American tribes were gone probably because the Europeans considered it too barbaric and not civilized. The whities up in North America wouldn't even tolerate their different skin color, probably because they hated diversity. Look at what happened to China when they dared stand up for their rights - rape their temples, force missionaries upon them, and take their land because they had the muscle to do so.
Even the Manichaen Churches were absolutely destroyed by Christianity - a willing participant in this rape as well as leading the charge elsewhere in the world. Christians actively believed in attacking this "hersey" and it shows the RACIST tendencies towards anything from Middle Eastern Origin, in particular Persian origin! EVEN Constantine once was one, but switched because he felt that 'knowledge as the key to salvation as too passive'. this CLEARLY shows how they want war, they want to avoid peace and co existence - BOTH the decadent west and the evil Christian Abomination taken up by it.
Even today people can't dress how they want in Europe as people ban attire like Hijabs, even today they persecute immigrants, even today they run around war zones trying to convert people.

As long as you believe the mainstream media's never ending quest to ignore or downplay the savagery of this society and the innate desire to dominate within Christianity, and to attribute the present "War on Terror" to some other such as actually wanting to help non "western" people, and actually , you'll be asking what is it this time, or next time adnauseum. Forever miffed forever clueless.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
Originally posted by: heyheybooboo
Originally posted by: Common Courtesy

Yeah. Poor assumption..

After 30 years of war, Saddam, being bombed back into the stone age, etc., Iraq really has no where to go but up. We just need to find the right guy who is not overly friendly toward Iran and not too much of an enigma to the West - kinda Saddam-lite.
I would say that no matter how many steps Saddam took the country back, he took more forward; Saddam may not be liked, but credit should be given where it is due. I would say what decimated Iraq was
a) Saddam's desire to be a life long dictator - that clearly wasn't going to end well
b) Iran not understanding that their quietly receiving weapons from the US, while the US publically supported Iraq meant they wanted both countries to engage in war with each other. A two year war had to be dragged on to eight years until Iran FINALLY agreed to a cease fire. Of course a big part of this was the fact that Saddam and Khomeini had no love for each other and that fueled the flames
c) Sanctions. Even though this comes last, I do believe this had the greatest effect in creating disaster and causing Iraq to be a failure.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
When Iraq fails will the people of Iraq and the Arabs in general have even more reason to distrust and hate us?

Fails how?

My guess is that many Arabs on the street in other countries would like the opportunity to vote like Iraqi's do.

But whatever happens over there, at the end of the day they'll likely be running their country the way they want to. It's hard for me to understand why the world-wide Arab community would hate us for giving them that opportunity.

Fern

Stoneburner

Diamond Member
May 29, 2003
Interesting article related to OP

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06...ef=opinion&oref=slogin

ALot of people (right wingers, honestly) just love conflating peoples and interests in the middle east. Iran, sunni insurgents, al qaeda, and former military members all get lumped into "terrorists." Trends and purple fingers are shown to be signs of impending rapture. The truth is, there are many competing or often overlapping interests at work. Nationalism has historically trumped it all. If bush tries to pull a fast one in a way that undermines sovereignty, iraq's future will make it's recent past look timid.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
come on guys.. he said this isn't trollbait, so it must not be... come on... honest guys... come on... no, seriously...

guys? awwww man... :confused:

ultra laser

Banned
Jul 2, 2007
Of course they will and that's the point. Most Arabs hating us means more potential terrorism threats. And in the name of fighting terrorism the Fedgov can do anything.

ultra laser

Banned
Jul 2, 2007
Originally posted by: Grunt03

This is such BS. They never ASKED you grunts to come over and supposedly fix all of their problems. You guys took it on yourselves. You pay for it.