When in human history did men start shaving?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
Originally posted by: DrPizza
Originally posted by: FoBoT
What's interesting is the popularity of the not-shaved-for-a day-or-two (or more) look these days (well, the last 15+ years). On TV, in movies, in commercials, it's totally common. A few decades ago you did not see that. It's certainly trendy now.

Woot! I'm trendy! I thought I was just lazy on my days off.

Me too. :thumbsup::D

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
This question is like wondering when shoes were invented. My guess would be at noon on the first day the rocks got hot. :)

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Originally posted by: Gooberlx2
I dunno how reliable this site's info is, but here's the first hit on google searching "history of shaving".

FWIW: I wetshave with a DE Merkur futura, and some mug soap I got from walgreens. Beats the crap outta Gilette's and Shick's million blade cartridges, not to mention a lot cheaper for blades.
Thanks for the tips. I'll check out both (the site and the DE Merkur futura instrument). I used to use mug soap and lather brush, long time ago. Maybe when I run out of gel I'll go that way again. I think I must have a 5 year supply, though, with the 3 pack of gel I got at Costco.

Eos

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2000
I had a goatee from 1993 until 1999. Mustache plus a couple days growth (I never "shaved"; every couple days I used a set of hair clippers to knock the hair down) until 2002. Then I have had my current full beard since.

Shaving sucks.

jamesave

Golden Member
Aug 27, 2000
Which US president was the first one without any facial hair?

That should be the answer.