When I flush the toilet I can hear the bathrub drain gurgle WTF?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GeekDrew

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
Originally posted by: ekrub
Originally posted by: GeekDrew
I have the opposite problem -- when I take a shower, the toilet starts gurgling. WTF?

Stop peeing in the shower. The toilet knows what you are doing.

hahahaha. :disgust:

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
I have the opposite problem -- when I take a shower, the toilet starts gurgling. WTF?

LOL

There is a cartoon telling people to pee in the shower to conserve water. If you pee in the shower you can save xx amount of flushes each year !

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Originally posted by: Adul
Make sure nothing is blocking the vent pipe that goes to the roof of the house. If that is plugged up, suction from flushing the toilet will pull air through the bathtub drain.

Huh would never have thought of that. Thanks! I'll try to check this out.

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Originally posted by: Modelworks

LOL

There is a cartoon telling people to pee in the shower to conserve water. If you pee in the shower you can save xx amount of flushes each year !

Really? I mean hygienically there's nothing wrong with doing so really. But still. Are you talking about a water conservation message or a joke in a cartoon.

iGas

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2009
When I flush the toilet I can hear a loud gurgling sound from the bathtub drain.
It could be that the p-trap is dry. It also can be from a blocked vent, poor wet venting, too shallow p-trap, or the drainage grade is too steep, that causes suction to empty the trap when flush.

It could also be that a house or apartment that was originally plumbed, then additional drainage load or cloth washer was added with out proper provision hence the drained p-trap/gurgling noise/sewer gas.

How about if someone upstairs in my house has a bubble bath, the bubbles appear in the toilet a floor below it lol
It suggests that the building have poor plumbing that doesn't have adequate hydrolic jump distance from the stack, and it also means that there is a blockage in the building drain just below the stack & within the hydrolic jump zone.

Number1

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006

Fool the toilet, have a bath in it and let see if the shower gurgles.

Report back here

Paperdoc

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2006
Make sure nothing is blocking the vent pipe that goes to the roof of the house. If that is plugged up, suction from flushing the toilet will pull air through the bathtub drain.

This. Also possible the gurgling you hear is air pushing out of the drain up through the trap in the shower, not being sucked down. That can happen two ways. One is the plugged vent. The other is plugged sewer line from roots, etc. - a problem I see about once a year at home. First symptom is gurgling sounds in traps when a toilet is flushed. Later the basement toilet starts bubbling when the top-floor toilet is flushed. If I don't unplug soon, it gets real bad when any flush causes water to back up into the basement shower stall. If you don't have big trees or something that might cause root problems in the main drain line, concentrate on the vent stack first.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

This.

Make sure some damn bird didn't build a nest on the vent line at the top of your house! :p

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001

hahahaha. :disgust:

cmon admit it, that was pretty funny.

sallie rau

Oct 6, 2015
when I flush the toilet or use bathroom sink when water goes from sink or toilet i hear water in shower drain. What could it be ? Or is this a problem?

---

Hi,

Welcome to AnandTech Forums. I locked this thread because the previous reply was over six years ago. If the reply by who? (second, below) is not enough info for you, please start a new thread to ask for help with your problem.

Thanks for understanding. Sorry for any inconvenience. We hope you enjoy yourself on our forums. :)

Harvey
Senior AnandTech Moderator/Administrator

Last edited by a moderator:

who?

Platinum Member
Sep 1, 2012
After it has been at least 5 minutes since any water has gone down the drain take the cover off of the drain cleanout on the outside of the house. If you see any standing liquid down in the pipe you need somebody to snake the drain pipe leading away from the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.