When gun control advocates run a school...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
One last time, school administrators did not create zero tolerance rules. However, their jobs and, the teacher's jobs are on the line if they don't follow them. Most school administrators and most school teachers rank zero tolerance rules on par with no child left behind initiatives ie. more bull shit that gets in the way of teaching. Not to say there aren't some trying to use it for their own.political agenda. There's plenty of blame to go around, judges who never should have agreed to hear half the bullshit cases brought against the schools, risk management recommending zero tolerance rules to try to limit litigation and justify their jobs, school boards rubber stamping the recommendations because it shows the public they're trying to do something and, finally, whiny ass parents who want to control everyone around their kids but not take any responsibility.

Lest I forget, we've also got ATOT idiots trying to use the mess to make a political statement about gun control.

Zero tolerance comes from school admin.

master_shake_

Diamond Member
May 22, 2012
first they came for the pop tarts

then they came for the pens

but when they came for the scissors...

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Does your state set policy for the whole country? I think not.

What the fuck? Policy is set by local admin. Approved by the board.
County admin. County board. Ultimately to the state but not so much.

This happened in a fucked up state. Means happened in a fucked up county.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
What the fuck? Policy is set by local admin. Approved by the board.
County admin. County board. Ultimately to the state but not so much.

This happened in a fucked up state. Means happened in a fucked up county.

And it's merely coincidence that all the States have the same zero tolerance policy. They inforce it differently but, it's the same policy.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Zero tolerance policies were initially set at the federal level BUT with requirement that the local level set up the details, including punishment and what constitutes a violation of the zero tolerance policies (the federal level only specifies illegal drugs or guns that have been purchased across state lines).

Guess who passed and updated this law? Both parties and there are rediculous examples all over the place including cities/states that lean heavily toward the right.

Of course the OP won't give you that info, instead he'd rather shit in his hand and tell you it's the liberal policies that stink, not the shit from his side.

davmat787

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2010
Seriously? You never played cops and robbers as a kid? My friends and I made shooting motions at each other all the time during recess, strangely enough none of us have ever shot anyone. Were we all the exceptions to the fictional rule that fake violence leads to real violence?

Getting this bent out of shape over an ambiguous pencil twirl, (Just how do you twirl a pencil like a gun anyway?) God forbid a Boy Scout should show off his rifle-shooting merit badge. I wish I was being sarcastic. I bet a young Boy Scout showing off his rifle or shotgun shooting merit badge would be expelled from school and possibly arrested in the Garden State for purportedly threatening other students.

And the teacher wasn't the person who saw it, it was a fellow student wanting to do biz asap.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Zero tolerance policies were initially set at the federal level BUT with requirement that the local level set up the details, including punishment and what constitutes a violation of the zero tolerance policies (the federal level only specifies illegal drugs or guns that have been purchased across state lines).

Guess who passed and updated this law? Both parties and there are rediculous examples all over the place including cities/states that lean heavily toward the right.

Of course the OP won't give you that info, instead he'd rather shit in his hand and tell you it's the liberal policies that stink, not the shit from his side.

Keep in mind my "side" includes three Democrat senators and two Democrat governors.

As I've stated, rabid gun control fervor is as much the cause of incidents like this as zero tolerance policies. Your laughable attempt to pigeon-hole me and your (and some other posters') attempts to deflect from this fact doesn't make it false.

Last edited:

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Keep in mind my "side" includes three Democrat senators and two Democrat governors.

As I've stated, rabid gun control fervor is as much the cause of incidents like this as zero tolerance policies. Your laughable attempt to pigeon-hole me and your (and some other posters') attempts to deflect from this fact doesn't make it false.

No it doesn't make it false and I never claimed it was. I merely pointed out your partisanship.

Deflection not found.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Then you should be able to point at a US statute regarding zero tolerance in schools.

I would point you to the National School Board Association and the American Federation of Teachers who control by withholding federal education dollars if local schools do not follow their policies. The way these stories are always presented as some local loonytoon Principal deciding to make some kind of political statement is patently false. Then, we get our own resident special people with their own axe to grind who never look beyond the headlines.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I would point you to the National School Board Association and the American Federation of Teachers who control by withholding federal education dollars if local schools do not follow their policies. The way these stories are always presented as some local loonytoon Principal deciding to make some kind of political statement is patently false. Then, we get our own resident special people with their own axe to grind who never look beyond the headlines.

I'm only aware of the requirements for the gun free school zones which only relates to guns and drugs.

Nothing beyond that seems to be coming from the federal level.
http://www2.ed.gov/programs/dvpformula/gfsaguid03.doc

Do you have a link to an example of a rule (like the one violated in this thread) that ties funds to these rules?

Apr 27, 2012
This is another reason that gun control idiots shouldn't be running the schools. They have an idiotic and extreme agenda that completely violates freedom.