When Fruits Ripen Together

PhoenixOrion

Diamond Member
May 4, 2004
I remember reading something about this.

I can see the advantages for reproductive purposes in plants.

But wouldn't it be nice if a bunch of bananas ripen consecutively so the entire pack doesn't go bad at the same time? That way I can eat one or two pieces a day and finish all at the end of the week.

Same thing goes with a fruit bowl. I hate how one ripe nectarine or orange induce the entire bowl of apples and bananas to ripen soooo fast. Such a waste.

Any ideas to curb the 'riping chemicals' aside from completely isolating the ripe fruits from the bunch?

Lorax

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2000
i believe the chemical is methane for most fruits. not sure if there's a way to curb it, just don't put them together in a brown bag.

Oct 25, 2006
Originally posted by: Lorax
i believe the chemical is methane for most fruits. not sure if there's a way to curb it, just don't put them together in a brown bag.

Its Ethylene. If it was methane, Many Groceries would have blown up by now.

rivan

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2003
Originally posted by: tenshodo13

Awesome - thoughts of exploding arugala gave me a good laugh.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
1) Stagger your fruit. Buy some that is ripe, some that is almost ripe, and some that will be ripe in a week. This is easiest to do with bananas. Just get 1 or 2 from each bunch (yellow, yellowish green, and green). For some reason, people think you can't take just the bananas you want and buy a whole bunch of the same color. Repeat with the other fruit when you get the hang of it.

2) Don't store your ripe fruit with your unripe fruit.

3) For the most part, ethylene doesn't really ripen fruits. It just makes them look ripe.

PhoenixOrion

Diamond Member
May 4, 2004
Originally posted by: dullard
1) Stagger your fruit. Buy some that is ripe, some that is almost ripe, and some that will be ripe in a week. This is easiest to do with bananas. Just get 1 or 2 from each bunch (yellow, yellowish green, and green). For some reason, people think you can't take just the bananas you want and buy a whole bunch of the same color. Repeat with the other fruit when you get the hang of it.

I think I actually did that one. But the two ripe bananas induced the other ones to ripen. So the other bunch had greenish stalks at the end but had the dark spots all over the very yellow body of the skin to signify ripening.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004

Ethylene is also a flammable gas:confused:

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006
Originally posted by: jagec

Ethylene is also a flammable gas:confused:

and by that logic its a miracle of god that my underpants are still whole.

Lorax

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2000

hmm that sounds vaguely correct. it's been a few years since plant bio.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004

hmm that sounds vaguely correct. it's been a few years since plant bio.

It is correct. Ethylene is the primary plant hormone that governs ripening.

PhoenixOrion

Diamond Member
May 4, 2004
Originally posted by: Auric
Fruit bowl FTL. Refrigeration FTW.

It's a tug-of-war situation between me and my wife.....she likes to have fruits on the decorative fruit plate/bowl................I like to actually use the crisper/vegetable function of the fridge.

Auric

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: PhoenixOrion
Originally posted by: Auric
Fruit bowl FTL. Refrigeration FTW.

It's a tug-of-war situation between me and my wife.....she likes to have fruits on the decorative fruit plate/bowl................I like to actually use the crisper/vegetable function of the fridge.

Ah yes, there's nothing more pleasing to the senses than a heaping pile of warm rotting fruit. Has she considered taking the charm to the next level with variety of aging meats and cheeses?

In lieu of that, may I suggest wax fruit for decoration and tasty chilled fruit for consumption?