when food melts the foam containers, is that bad for you?

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
What the title asks, I've looked and I can't find any straight answers. When food melts like say a styrofoam plate is that toxic?

Lord Evermore

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Styrofoam may be toxic, so, if you're asking whether you'd want to eat something that styrofoam melted against, I'd say no. Even if it isn't toxic, are you going to eat something that stryofoam is stuck to?

Electric Amish

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
It probably won't hurt you. I've eaten food next to melted styrofoam and I'm still alive. :) Just don't eat the entire container. ;)

Everything in life is bad for you in some way or another. I've given up worrying about it.

amish

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
If I remember correctly, a major component of styrofoam is formaldehyde. I don't know if any of it is released when it melts, but I wouldn't want to guess about whether I'm consuming any.

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
yeah when the heat from food melts the foam containers. I don't understand, if it's possibly toxic, why do they still sell these containers??

Wangel

Banned
Mar 30, 2000
Boat docks use to be made of styrofoam, but there have been so many cases of these boat docks coming apart and the styrofoam spreading in the water. Then the fish eat the styrofoam and die. Next time your at Long John Silver, check your fish sandwich for styrofoam!