When exercising a warranty on a defective hard drive...............

4fingerwu1

Sep 20, 2002
Or returning any type of electronics do they generally require the original receipt or would a copy suffice?
Thank You
Ricardo

captains

Diamond Member
Mar 27, 2003
for a hard drive from my experiences with WD, u just call them get a RMA # and then send it off

Tavis

Jun 20, 2000
Go to the manufacturers website and look for their RMA policy. You can usually get everything you need right from the site. Then just ship it off to them.

Ness

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2002
They can't require it unless the warranty specifically states that to make a claim you need the receipt, and I doubt it does.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
With a HDD, no.. because the warranty is based on when the drive was made, not when you bought it.

But with most other products, you will need at least a copy. Don't give them your original! It's your original. You can't replace it.

phlashphire

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2000
Just a side question in regards to hard drive RMA's... do they attempt repair your drive or just send you a replacement? And if they do repair your drive, is the data recovered? My 80gb backup drive died on me recently.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: phlashphire
Just a side question in regards to hard drive RMA's... do they attempt repair your drive or just send you a replacement? And if they do repair your drive, is the data recovered? My 80gb backup drive died on me recently.
Sorry to hear about your drive. Also sorry to say that your data is lost. They will send you a replacement drive with the RMA.

captains

Diamond Member
Mar 27, 2003

all data must be backed up before u send it out cuz they will not recover anything for u

1. they send u a new hard drive and then when u get it u send bad one to them. think they charge your cc just in case u never send it back.

2. u send drive to them, they refurb and send it back

bcterps

Platinum Member
Aug 31, 2000
The only reason why you may need a receipt is if you bought the hard drive and it failed while still under warranty, but the manufacturer date of the drive is significantly older than your date of purchase. For example, if your drive had a 1 year warranty with a manufacturer date of August 2003 and you bought it in October 2003. If it failed in September 2004, it would still be under warranty if you have your receipt. If you didn't have your receipt, then the warranty would have expired in August 2004.

I believe the most hard drive warranties are from the date of purchase, not the date of manufacture, however you need the receipt to prove it.

Sukhoi

Elite Member
Dec 5, 1999
Originally posted by: benchiu
The only reason why you may need a receipt is if you bought the hard drive and it failed while still under warranty, but the manufacturer date of the drive is significantly older than your date of purchase. For example, if your drive had a 1 year warranty with a manufacturer date of August 2003 and you bought it in October 2003. If it failed in September 2004, it would still be under warranty if you have your receipt. If you didn't have your receipt, then the warranty would have expired in August 2004.

I believe the most hard drive warranties are from the date of purchase, not the date of manufacture, however you need the receipt to prove it.

Yep, I'm almost positive that's how it is.

Ness

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2002

Is it dead as in... total failure... or dead as in, you get a clicking, chirp.. or the other noise it can make...

If it's the noise one, look for a program called "bad copy pro". It works VERY effectively at recovering data...