When does one find the right one? Or is it just me?

Pastfinder

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2000
Hi everyone, or should I say hi YALL? :) Anyways, I have found myself in an all-too familiar situation. I seem to have the ability to be attracted towards women who are strong religious fundamentalists. I ain't very religious (Catholic and baptized but I don't practice), mainly because I look at everything from a really scientific or intellectual level and ruin all of the fun and faith but ripping it apart. I DO believe in a God, or sorts, and do pray when I need to ecetera. ANYWAYS, I called this girl and started talking and she made a comment to the extent that "I don't think, God does it for me." :confused: Is it me? This is not meant to offend people, I just can't seem to find any woman out there who is not some fundamentalist Christian nut but someone who is intellectual and likes to contemplate things before just acting. To the guys out there: Any suggestions or should I just throw in the towel and join a monastery?
Pastfinder
P.S.-Not to burst anyone's bubble, but could I get a few serious responses before everyone makes fun of me?

Apr 5, 2000
The right one isn't going to fall out of the sky into your lap - it takes time. Get off yer arse and hit up the singles scene instead

Capn

Platinum Member
Jun 27, 2000
If she actually said she doesn't think, then she's out in left field anyways with or with out religion.

BA

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 1999
if she doesn't think, run!

I'm not sure about the whole attracted to religious fundamentalist thing, there some trait they all have or something?

Oh, and please throw in the towel, less competition for me that way, and I need all the help I can get.

Isla

Elite member
Sep 12, 2000
Sheesh...

I believe in God but I think all the time! Of course, there are a lot of fundamentalist Christians who expect me to go to hell. :p

Sounds like she is in a semi-brainwashed state. My husband was like that when I met him.... He didn't listen to secular music, didn't watch Disney films, got mad if I said fart...

It has taken me years to corrupt him. It was really hard work. Don't undertake such a task unless you are sure you are up for it! :D

RGN

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2000
I have had similar experiences. I used to be involved HEAVILY with the church, myself and this girl were what you could call the poster people of the youth group and then later the 20's group. You know the route, the "perfect" couple. :eek:

Anyway, they all lived by what was pretty much what you stated, until... suddenly one of them started thinking "outside" those parameters. Well, the whole church almost self-destructed. Within 6-months most of the group that I hung out with was married - to non-believers no less. :Q

Except me... my girl apparently had been cheating on me (at work, and she did a good job of it too) and was one that was married quickly ( one of the first - within 3 months). She even sent me a wedding invite.

I guess I don't know the moral of the story, I just know that I don't go to church anymore and its hard to see a church going girl as someone to have a serious relationship with.

Yeeny

Lifer
Feb 2, 2000
I would wonder if you were raised in a strict religious household growing up. That might explain your attraction to people like that, even though you may not believe in the same things. Maybe you need to expand your horizons, and go to different places than you have in the past to meet women. I am religious, but I think for myself. I could never picture dating somebody that said they didn't.