• 1920s

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • When Calvin Collidge was president

• World War II

Votes: 11 44.0%
  • When JFK was President

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • When PRR and Lackawana RR were going bankrupt and Boieing started making $$$

• When Reagan was president

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • When Clinton was president

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Obama was president

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • When Trump was president

• Total voters

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
I personally think America became great during Clinton, although I do not remember much about the times when he was president as I was just a baby and 4 your year old when he left office. But what I do remember is that America became worst and worst as GWB stayed president. Obama did make many fixes.

Trumpies on the other hand are giving the ranges of years from 1900s - 1950s.

When do you forumers think America was great?

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
It’s never been “great” it’s always been a work in progress and that’s what made this country unique. We have a governing document that wasn’t rigid or strict so it could adjust with the times, as our society changed and progressed (ideologically speaking) it’s meaning was updated to reflect those changes.

My knowledge of history isn’t good enough to know whether or not what we are experiencing (mass disinformation and ignorance because of it) has happened before (I believe it has but maybe not to this extent…see the know nothing Party). What I do know is that this level of propaganda has never reached the top echelon of our government.

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
You really think the rities would want to show their choice, when they know it would just only start an argument? But fine, its back up. Looks like that option is gone. :(

Last edited:

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
You really think the rities would want to show their choice, when they know it would just only start an argument? But fine, its back up. Looks like that option is gone. :(
Well yea, you wouldn't want to vote thinking it was hidden, just for it to be turned public later.

The 90s was probably the best run America had. Of course much of America's sucess has be build be borrowing from the future, both the environment and financially.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
America is at its greatest when it evolves to the betterment of the country. There are obvious instances throughout history that show we were/are striving to be better.

Unfortunately, for decades there's a huge push against this from the people who already have 'great' lives. It was mostly hidden to the rest of the country. More recently, they don't even care about trying to hide it anymore. A large swath of the population has shown they simply do not care, and will still elevate them regardless of how greedy, selfish, and inhumane they can be.

If everyone has great lives, who is there left to judge and feel superior to?

Lezunto

Golden Member
Oct 24, 2020
The United States could be considered above the rest when it helped defeat the Axis powers in World War II, opted to defend Freedom and Democracy during the Korean Conflict and continued its space program, culminating with landing men on the moon.

The U.S. enjoyed unparalleled prosperity and security during the Clinton years, stunned the world when it elected Barack Obama, then made what may still prove a fatal mistake with Trump.

I don't think any country could be considered great because so much of this planet's human history has been marked by wars, genocides, hatred and suffering.

Even in times of what some may refer to as peace, there has been ceaseless racial, cultural and ethnic animus which have resulted in needless deaths, untold misery and outright slaughters.

Reactions: iRONic and Captante

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
It's interesting to see how some view history. If there were coherent choices, this might be an interesting topic. But the way it's presented now, well, I can't even vote. Seems like more of a schizophrenic attempt at virtue signaling than an actual poll.

• Haha
Reactions: iRONic

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
It's interesting to see how some view history. If there were coherent choices, this might be an interesting topic. But the way it's presented now, well, I can't even vote. Seems like more of a schizophrenic attempt at virtue signaling than an actual poll.
Well in his defense, a MAGA should be able to pinpoint it without much trouble. Otherwise, it's all just hot air (I mean, I know it's hot air, but I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt). But I didn't vote either as I don't see much of that as great times.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
MAGA is a fraught term. I'm not sure where I fit in with it. Some with whom I have had interactions with here will assume I must be one of those subhumans. Very well. But then again I was an adult when Joe Biden ran in 1988:
Back then it seemed the allegations were credible. But how soon we forget. Being Obama's VP may have washed his sins clean to some, but not to those like me with long memories. So I have come to regard "Bidenites" as the other side of the MAGA coin. I wouldn't want to have a beer with either of these types of true believers, tbh. But that leads to a query, why isn't the Biden Presidency included in the poll?

• Haha
Reactions: iRONic

m8d

Nov 5, 2012
The United States could be considered above the rest when it helped defeat the Axis powers in World War II, opted to defend Freedom and Democracy during the Korean Conflict and continued its space program, culminating with landing men on the moon.

The U.S. enjoyed unparalleled prosperity and security during the Clinton years, stunned the world when it elected Barack Obama, then made what may still prove a fatal mistake with Trump.

I don't think any country could be considered great because so much of this planet's human history has been marked by wars, genocides, hatred and suffering.

Even in times of what some may refer to as peace, there has been ceaseless racial, cultural and ethnic animus which have resulted in needless deaths, untold misery and outright slaughters.
AmeriKKKa was late to the fight in WW2.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
"Great" is a fraught word. It's easily conflated with "good", and that's probably part of what Trumpers wanted from MAGA. But the phrase "great and terrible" probably traces back at least to The Bible. I kind of wonder if The Wizard of Oz took all the punch out of the phrase, like a deflated balloon.

Anyway, I think Trump misspelled the word. He quite effectively made America grate again.

Mar 11, 2004
I don't agree about the 90s being great. It was a decade full of bullshit and every "good" of that decade was a sham. The economy (dotcom bubble, stock market being hyped and effectively replacing the economy in most people's understanding of American economics). The war on drugs was just an attempt at cultural genocide of non-whites, especially blacks and hispanics, as we incarcerated a generation of black people.

It was the start of the modern right wing media that has directly led to the propaganda and disinformation and lies that it now is. It was the start of a lot of most of the modern right wing bullshit. Its where almost all of their single issue arguments as we know them today began, guns, abortion, immigration, economics, social programs, race, gender, and a whole host of others. It galvanized right wing extremism in ways we hadn't seen since the KKK.

It was the start of the horrible shit by awful bastards like Jeffrey Epstein and Harvey Weinstein.

The greatness of American athletics was drug induced, but we looked the other way while our athletes failed tests (or didn't bother giving them because we could plainly see what was up), while we also demonized others for supposedly disgracing the sanctity of sports, leading to the biggest hypocrisies the sports world has ever seen. We had full of shit assholes like Ah-nuld telling kids to do jumping jacks at the White House while ignoring his fitness came from a needle.

It was the pinnacle of many fads, old and new. Beanie babies, sports cards (and sports memorabilia in general). They tried to bring the 60s back, from literally trying to sell peace and love, to bell bottoms, and 60s nostalgia (whilst we ignored almost all of the horrible aspects). It was basically peak white washing culture.

Basically it was peak American bullshit.

Lezunto

Golden Member
Oct 24, 2020
AmeriKKKa was late to the fight in WW2.

President Franklin D. Roosevelt was hoping to join the war on the side of Britain and France, but could not because of huge Isolationist sentiment at home. But FDR did intercede under his Lend Lease Act.

The measure called for the U.S. to lend or lease war supplies to any country deemed vital the defense of the country. This arranged for the delivery of 50 aging U.S. Navy destroyers to Great Britain in return for 99-year leases on U.K. bases in the Caribbean and Newfoundland.

FDR knew what the world faced. But he could do little until Pearl Harbor. But there were undercover diplomatic, financial and military aid that was also made available.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
I probably have the most fond memories of the mid-90s to early 2000s, so I'd say maybe 1996-2002. That's when technology and the internet exploded and became mainstream, but there was still a real "geeky" aspect to it all.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
If it's "when was the LAST time ...", then the answer is is probably around the moon landing. So, I'll go with the JFK answer.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
It depends. Are you asking on an individual level, a historical level, or what? Individually people across this country have different experiences of the American dream. Some are poor slaves, beholden to a shitty low paying job and don't see a way out for themselves. Some bust their ass and become successful along with a little luck. Some are born into wealth, and only know the world through their rose colored glasses of innate wealth and privilege.

I do know that people will risk death to cross the border to try and make a better life for themselves here, as bad as some of us think it is here.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
So much pessimism and no context.

America has almost always been great, that's why so many strive to come here.

Safe, prosperous and free.

We have been blessed to be born at this time in history, and very fortunate to be here.

Perfect? No. A Utopia? No. Certainty superior to most things run by humans throughout history tho

Last edited:

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
America's golden age was from WW2 until the stagflation of the late 1970s.
You can see when America's "greatness" ended via the creation of THE GAP.

The 90's feel good era was obviously built on lies, otherwise it may have won for the notion of "greatness". And I must remind haters that the word does not mean perfect. I simply refer back to when people were paid decent wages and America was on a euphoric high following the salvation of the "world" from brutal genocide on two fronts. Most our people (and middle class) prospered like never before, and never again. A short lived golden era.

We've been following a vicious cycle ever since, ultimately leading to our demise.